- •Models to predict in-hospital death of sepsis patients were established.
- •The random forest model had the better predictive ability.
- •The model fit was good in the external population with SOFA score of 13-15.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Sepsis and septic shock.Lancet. 2018; 392: 75-87
- The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (Sepsis-3).JAMA. 2016; 315: 801-810
- Recognizing sepsis as a global health priority - A WHO resolution.N Engl J Med. 2017; 377: 414-417
- Global, regional, and national sepsis incidence and mortality, 1990–2017: analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study.Lancet. 2020; 395: 200-211
- Advances in the understanding and treatment of sepsis-induced immunosuppression.Nat Rev Nephrol. 2018; 14: 121-137
- A new Simplified Acute Physiology Score (SAPS II) based on a European/North American multicenter study.JAMA. 1993; 270: 2957-2963
- Acute Physiology and Chronic Health Evaluation (APACHE) IV: hospital mortality assessment for today's critically ill patients.Crit Care Med. 2006; 34: 1297-1310
- Limited ability of SOFA and MOD scores to discriminate outcome: a prospective evaluation in 1,436 patients.Can J Anaesth. 2005; 52: 302-308
- Validation of the sepsis severity score compared with updated severity scores in predicting hospital mortality in sepsis patients.Shock. 2017; 47: 720-725
- A two-biomarker model predicts mortality in the critically Ill with sepsis.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017; 196: 1004-1011
- Red blood cell distribution width is associated with mortality in elderly patients with sepsis.T Am J Emerg Med. 2018; 36: 949-953
- Using machine learning methods to predict in-hospital mortality of sepsis patients in the ICU.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2020; 20: 251
- MIMIC-III, a freely accessible critical care database.Sci Data. 2016; 3160035
- Evaluation: from precision, recall and F-measure to ROC, informedness, markedness & correlation.J Mach Learn Res. 2011; 2: 2229-3981
- The SOFA (Sepsis-related Organ Failure Assessment) score to describe organ dysfunction/failure. On behalf of the Working Group on Sepsis-Related Problems of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine.Intensive Care Med. 1996; 22: 707-710
- The association of serum bilirubin levels on the outcomes of severe sepsis.J Intensive Care Med. 2015; 30: 23-29
- Serum bilirubin levels on ICU admission are associated with ARDS development and mortality in sepsis.Thorax. 2009; 64: 784-790
- Low total cholesterol and high total bilirubin are associated with prognosis in patients with prolonged sepsis.J Crit Care. 2016; 31: 36-40
- Moderate to severe hyperphosphataemia as an independent prognostic factor for 28-day mortality in adult patients with sepsis.Emerg Med J. 2020; 37: 355-361
- Impact of serum phosphate in mechanically ventilated patients with severe sepsis and septic shock.J Intensive Care Med. 2020; 35: 485-493
- Dietary phosphorus acutely impairs endothelial function.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2009; 20: 1504-1512
- Phosphate increases mitochondrial reactive oxygen species release.Free Radic Res. 2004; 38: 1113-1118
- Model for predicting short-term mortality of severe sepsis.Crit Care. 2009; 13: R72
- Prediction of in-hospital mortality in emergency department patients with sepsis: a local big data-driven, machine learning approach.Acad Emerg Med. 2016; 23: 269-278
- Development and validation of immune dysfunction score to predict 28-day mortality of sepsis patients.PloS One. 2017; 12e0187088
- Ischemia-modified albumin is a predictor of short-term mortality in patients with severe sepsis.J Crit Care. 2017; 37: 7-12
- Predicting in-hospital mortality in ICU patients with sepsis using gradient boosting decision tree.Medicine. 2021; 100: e25813
Funding: This study was supported by the Beijing Municipal Administration of Hospitals Clinical Medicine Development of Special Funding (number: ZYLX201802 ).
Conflicts of Interests: None.