- •Urinary samples, even when collected after catheter change, are always colonized.
- •Urine collected 1hr. post-catheter change shows the least pyuria and bacterial growth.
- •Improved practice guidelines are necessary for chronic urinary catheterization.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Bladder management for adults with spinal cord injury: a clinical practice guideline for health-care providers.J Spinal Cord Med. 2006; 29: 527-573
- (1998, December). Biomaterials used in urology: current issues of biocompatiblity, infection and encrustation.J Endourol. 2021; 12: 493-499
- Diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of catheter-associated urinary tract infection in adults: 2009 international clinical practice guidelines from the infectious diseases society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2010; 50: 625-663
(January 2021). Urinary tract infection (Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection [CAUTI] and non-catheter-associated urinary tract infection [UTI]) Events. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/PDFs/pscManual/7pscCAUTIcurrent.pdf. Accessed March 14, 2021.
- Guideline for urine culture and biochemical identification of bacterial urinary pathogens in low-resource settings.Diagnostics. 2020; 10: 832
- Factors predisposing to bacteriuria during indwelling urethral catheterization.N Engl J Med. 1974; 291: 215-219
- Biofilms and catheter-associated urinary tract infections.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2003; 17: 411-432
- Catheter associated urinary tract infection is rarely symptomatic.Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160: 678-683
- Bacteriuria and bacteraemia in patients with long-term indwelling catheters - a domiciliary study.J Med Microbiol. 1988; 26: 61-65
- (2010). Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections.Infect Control Hospital Epidemiol. 2009; 31: 319-326
- Role of biofilm in catheter-associated urinary tract infection.Am J Infect Control. 2004; 32: 177-183
- Spinal cord injury creates unique challenges in diagnosis and management of catheter-associated urinary tract infection.Topics spinal cord inj rehabilitat. 2019; 25: 331-339
- Diagnosing catheter-associated urinary tract infection in critically Ill patients: Do the guidelines help?.Ind J crit care med. 2018; 22: 357
- Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections.Antimicrobial Resist Infect Control. 2014; 3: 3-4
- Gram-positive uropathogens, polymicrobial urinary tract infection, and the emerging microbiota of the urinary tract.Microbiol spectrum. 2016; 4: 20-21
Conflicts of interest: None to report.