- •The estimated incidence of neonatal RSV nosocomial infection (RSVNI) was 23.8%.
- •RSVNI outbreaks are mainly managed by hand hygiene, isolation, and patient cohorting.
- •Palivizumab controlled RSVNI in 10 studies after containment strategies failed.
- •RSVNI mortality was 8.0% (7/87) when infection control was solely employed.
- •Overall RSVNI-related mortality across the review of 17 articles was 8.5% (15/177).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization and mortality: systematic review and meta-analysis.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2017; 52: 556-569
- Global, regional, and national disease burden estimates of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children in 2015: a systematic review and modelling study.Lancet. 2017; 390: 946-958
- Possible transmission by fomites of respiratory syncytial virus.J Infect Dis. 1980; 141: 98-102
- Respiratory syncytial virus: its transmission in the hospital environment.Yale J Biol Med. 1982; 55: 219-223
- Evidence of respiratory syncytial virus spread by aerosol. Time to revisit infection control strategies?.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2016; 194: 308-316
- Respiratory syncytial virus is present in the neonatal intensive care unit.J Med Virol. 2016; 88: 196-201
- Nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus infections: the "Cold War" has not ended.Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 31: 590-596
- Strategies for prevention of RSV nosocomial infection.J Perinatol. 2008; 28: 319-323
Respiratory infection outbreaks in institutions and public hospitals. Accessed May 10, 2021. https://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/programs/publichealth/oph_standards/docs/respiratory_outbreaks_cd.pdf. February 2019.
- Outcome of the respiratory syncytial virus related acute lower respiratory tract infection among hospitalized newborns: a prospective multicenter study.J Matern Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 2186-2193
- Mortality and morbidity of nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection in ventilated children–a ten year perspective.Minerva Anestesiol. 2012; 78: 782
- Nosocomial infection: a risk factor for a complicated course in children with respiratory syncytial virus infection–results from a prospective multicenter German surveillance study.Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2008; 211: 241-250
- RSV outbreak in a paediatric intensive care unit.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 57: 194-201
- Nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus infection in Canadian pediatric hospitals: a Pediatric Investigators Collaborative Network on Infections in Canada Study.Pediatrics. 1997; 100: 943-946
- Clinical impact and direct costs of nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus infections in the neonatal intensive care unit.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 982-986
Study Quality Assessment Tools NHLBI, NIH [Internet]. Accessed April 29, 2021. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/study-quality-assessment-tools
- Respiratory syncytial virus outbreak in neonatal intensive care unit: impact of infection control measures plus palivizumab use.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2012; 1: 16
- Outbreaks in the neonatal ICU: a review of the literature.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2017; 30: 395-403
- Defining the risk and associated morbidity and mortality of severe respiratory syncytial virus infection among preterm infants without chronic lung disease or congenital heart disease.Infect Dis Ther. 2016; 5: 417-452
- Chronic diseases, chromosomal abnormalities, and congenital malformations as risk factors for respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization: a population-based cohort study.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 810-817
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) infection in children with medical complexity.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2019; 38: 171-176
- Pre-existing disease is associated with a significantly higher risk of death in severe respiratory syncytial virus infection.Arch Dis Child. 2009; 94: 99-103
- Respiratory syncytial virus outbreak in a tertiary hospital neonatal intensive care unit.An Pediatría (English Ed). 2016; 85: 119-127
- Experience with the use of palivizumab together with infection control measures to prevent respiratory syncytial virus outbreaks in neonatal intensive care units.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 246-252
- Use of palivizumab with other infection control measures to control respiratory syncytial virus outbreaks in neonatal care units.J Trop Pediatr. 2016; 62: 409-414
- Hospital outbreak of respiratory syncytial virus in neonatal intensive care unit. What is the risk of admitting external patients?.Health Science Journal. 2019; 13: 670
- Respiratory syncytial virus outbreak defined by rapid screening in a neonatal intensive care unit.J Hosp Infect. 2010; 75: 292-294
- Medical and economic impact of a respiratory syncytial virus outbreak in a neonatal intensive care unit.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005; 24: 1040-1044
- Palivizumab prophylaxis during respiratory syncytial virus outbreak in the neonatal intensive care unit.Turk J Pediatr. 2013; 55: 237-238
- Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) outbreak in the NICU: description of eight cases.J Trop Pediatr. 2002; 48: 118-122
- Nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus: a threat in the modern neonatal intensive care unit.J Perinatol. 2002; 22: 306-307
- Use of palivizumab to control an outbreak of syncytial respiratory virus in a neonatal intensive care unit.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 58: 38-41
- The use of palivizumab monoclonal antibody to control an outbreak of respiratory syncytial virus infection in a special care baby unit.J Hosp Infect. 2001; 48: 186-192
- Use of palivizumab and infection control measures to control an outbreak of respiratory syncytial virus in a neonatal intensive care unit confirmed by real-time polymerase chain reaction.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 77: 338-342
- Nosocomial respiratory viral infection in the neonatal intensive care unit.Am J Perinatol. 2020; 37: S22-S25
- Multiple respiratory syncytial virus introductions into a neonatal intensive care unit.J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2021; 10: 118-124
- Respiratory syncytial virus-associated hospitalizations among children less than 24 months of age.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: e341-e348
- SENTINEL1: Two-season study of respiratory syncytial virus hospitalizations among U.S. infants born at 29 to 35 weeks' gestational age not receiving immunoprophylaxis.Am J Perinatol. 2020; 37: 421-429
- The burden of severe respiratory syncytial virus disease among children younger than 1 year in Central and Eastern Europe.Infect Dis Ther. 2016; 5: 125-137
Mitchell I, Li A, Bjornson CL, Lanctot KL, Paes BA. Respiratory syncytial virus immunoprophylaxis with palivizumab: 12-year observational study of usage and outcomes in Canada. Am J Perinatol, in press.
- Respiratory syncytial virus hospitalization outcomes and costs of full-term and preterm infants.J Perinatol. 2016; 36: 990-996
- Respiratory syncytial virus-associated hospitalizations in pre-mature infants in Lima, Peru.Ann J Trop Med Hyg. 2014; 91: 1029-1034
- Challenges in the prevention or treatment of RSV with emerging new agents in children from low- and middle-income countries.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2021; 19: 419-441
- Nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus infections in the palivizumab-prophylaxis era with implications regarding high-risk infants.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 991-995
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection in children admitted to hospital but ventilated mechanically for other reasons.J Med Virol. 2009; 81: 160-166
- Trends in respiratory syncytial virus and bronchiolitis hospitalization rates in high-risk infants in a United States nationally representative database, 1997-2012.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0152208
- Global respiratory syncytial virus-associated mortality in young children (RSV GOLD): a retrospective case series.Lancet Glob Health. 2017; 5: e984-e991
- Rapid and simple molecular tests for the detection of respiratory syncytial virus: a review.Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2018; 18: 617-629
- Host and viral factors affecting clinical performance of a rapid diagnostic test for respiratory syncytial virus in hospitalized children.J Pediatr. 2013; 163: 911-913
- Clinical evaluation of multiplex RT-PCR assays for the detection of influenza A/B and respiratory syncytial virus using a high throughput system.J Virol Methods. 2019; 269: 49-54
- Transmission of respiratory syncytial virus at the paediatric intensive-care unit: a prospective study using real-time PCR.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2010; 16: 488-490
- A concurrent epidemic of respiratory syncytial virus and echovirus 7 infections in an intensive care nursery.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1989; 8: 24-29
- Nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus infections: the cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit of infection control.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 520-526
- Effect of young sibling visitation on respiratory syncytial virus activity in a NICU.J Perinatol. 2015; 35: 627-630
- Physical interventions to interrupt or reduce the spread of respiratory viruses.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 11CD006207
- Respiratory syncytial virus infection in special care nursery.Lancet. 1990; 335: 979
- Nosocomial RSV infection control and outbreak management.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2009; 10: 16-17
- Prevention of nosocomial transmission of respiratory syncytial virus in a newborn nursery.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1988; 9: 105-108
- Prospective controlled study of four infection-control procedures to prevent nosocomial infection with respiratory syncytial virus.Lancet. 1992; 340: 1079-1083
- Prevention of nosocomial respiratory syncytial virus infections through compliance with glove and gown isolation precautions.N Engl J Med. 1987; 317: 329-334
- Palivizumab, a humanized respiratory syncytial virus monoclonal antibody, reduces hospitalization from respiratory syncytial virus infection in high-risk infants.Pediatrics. 1998; 102: 531-537
- Palivizumab prophylaxis reduces hospitalization due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children with hemodynamically significant congenital heart disease.J Pediatr. 2003; 143: 532-540
- Updated guidance for palivizumab prophylaxis among infants and young children at increased risk of hospitalization for respiratory syncytial virus infection.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e620-e638
- Palivizumab prophylaxis during nosocomial outbreaks of respiratory syncytial virus in a neonatal intensive care unit: predicting effectiveness with an artificial neural network model.Pharmacotherapy. 2014; 34: 251-259
Conflicts of interest: BP has received compensation in the past as part of the speaker's bureau for AbbVie Corporation, Montreal, Canada. The rest of the authors (SAA, WK, STA, AA, AB) report no conflicts of interest.