- •N95 respirators were decontaminated with vaporous hydrogen peroxide 25 times.
- •No alterations to respiratory integrity or filtration efficiency seen by 25 cycles.
- •Vaporous hydrogen peroxide does not appear to impact fit or filtration efficiency using this defined process.
- •However, implementation requires significant interdisciplinary coordination.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Implementing filtering facepiece respirator (FFR) reuse, including reuse after decontamination, when there are known shortages of N95 respirators. Updated October 19, 2020. Accessed May 2, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/ppe-strategy/decontamination-reuse-respirators.htmlOccupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA.gov. Enforcement Memos: Enforcement Guidance for Respiratory Protection and the N95 Shortage Due to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic. Updated April 3, 2020. Accessed May 2, 2021. https://www.osha.gov/memos/2020-04-03/enforcement-guidance-respiratory-protection-and-n95-shortage-due-coronavirus
FDA.gov. Battelle Memorial Institute Emergency Use Authorization. Updated January 21, 2021. Accessed June 10, 2020. https://www.fda.gov/media/136529/download
- Hydrogen Peroxide Vapor sterilization of N95 respirators for reuse [e-pub ahead of print].Infect Control Hosp Epi. 2021; https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2021.48, accessed December 3, 2021
- The collison nebulizer: description, performance and application.J Aerosol Sci. 1973; 4 (3): 235-243
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Cdc.gov/niosh. Procedure No. TEB-APR-STP-0059-508. Determination particulate filter efficiency level for N95 series filters against solid particulates for non-powered, air-purifying respirators standard testing procedure (STP).
Occupational Safety and Health Administration. OSHA.gov. 1910.134-Respiratory Protection. Revised June 8, 2011. Accessed June 10, 2020. https://www.osha.gov/laws-regs/regulations/standardnumber/1910/1910.134
Richter W, Hofacre K, Willenberg Z. Final report for the bioquell hydrogen peroxide vapor (HPV) decontamination for reuse of n95 respirators. Contract No. HHSF223201400098C Study Number 3245 FDA Contracting Officer's Representative. Prepared July 22, 2016. Accessed November 19, 2020. https://www.fda.gov/media/136386/download
- Decontamination and reuse of N95 respirators with hydrogen peroxide vapor to address worldwide personal protective equipment shortages during the SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19) pandemic.J of Applied Biosafety. 2020; 25: 67-70
- TSI; 2013. PORTACOUNT PRO 8030 and PORTACOUNT PRO + 8038 Respirator Fit Testers—Operation and Service Manual.Accessed. May 30, 2021; (Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. Cdc.gov/niosh. Procedure No. TEB-APR-STP-0007-508. Determination of exhalation resistance test, air-purifying respirators standard testing procedure (STP))https://www.tsi.com/getmedia/76df3dbb-6d8d-4d78-aa24-5aff19e889e9/8030_8038_PortaCountPro_Manual_6001868?ext=.pdfNational
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of interest: All authors have no conflicts of interest or financial relationships with commercial entities to disclose. No financial support was obtained to conduct this study.