- •A disinfection procedure using an autonomous UVC robot was evaluated.
- •Each robotic disinfection procedure lasted less than 10 minutes.
- •The mean UVC dose across 12 sample locations was found to be 13.01±4.36 mJ/cm2.
- •The robotic procedure led to greater bioburden reduction than manual disinfection.
- •Findings indicate that automated disinfection procedures could cut turnaround times.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Biocide use in the antimicrobial era: a review.Molecules. 2021; 26: 2276
Peters A, Otter J, Moldovan A, Parneix P, Voss A, Pittet D. Keeping hospitals clean and safe without breaking the bank; summary of the healthcare cleaning forum 2018. Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018;7:132.
- Discovering the barriers to efficient robotic operating room turnover time: perceptions vs. reality.J Robotic Surg. 2020; : 1-8
- Operating room efficiency and timing during coronavirus disease 2019 outbreak in a referral orthopaedic hospital in northern italy.Int Orthop. 2020; 44: 2499-2504
- The economic impact of the covid-19 pandemic on radiology practices.Radiology. 2020; 296: E141-E144
- Modern technologies for improving cleaning and disinfection of environmental surfaces in hospitals.Antimicrob Resistance Infect Control. 2016; 5: 10
- Daily disinfection of the hospital room and non-critical items: barriers and practical approaches.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2020; 22: 1-5
- Chemical and stress resistances of clostridium difficile spores and vegetative cells.Front Microbiol. 2016; 7: 1698
- Is it really clean? an evaluation of the efficacy of four methods for determining hospital cleanliness.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 72 (04): 140-146
- The role of ‘no-touch'automated room disinfection systems in infection prevention and control.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 1-13
- Uv-c (254 nm) lethal doses for sars-cov-2.Photodiagn Photodyn Ther. 2020;
- Susceptibility of sars-cov-2 to uv irradiation.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 1273-1275
- Ultraviolet Germicidal Irradiation Handbook: UVGI for Air and Surface Disinfection.Springer science & business media, 2010
- Implementation and impact of ultraviolet environmental disinfection in an acute care setting.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 586-590
- Effect of ultraviolet-c light disinfection at terminal patient discharge on hospital-acquired infections in bone marrow transplant and oncology units.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 705-707
- Clostridium difficile infections before and during use of ultraviolet disinfection.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 940-945
- The effectiveness of uv-c radiation for facilitywide environmental disinfection to reduce health care–acquired infections.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 1342-1346
- Maximizing efficiency in a high occupancy setting to utilize ultraviolet disinfection for isolation rooms.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 903-909
- Comparative evaluation of operating room terminal cleaning by two methods: focused multivector ultraviolet (fmuv) versus manual-chemical disinfection.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 147-152
- Ultraviolet germicidal irradiation of the inner bore of a ct gantry.J Appl Clin Med Phys. 2020; 21: 325-328
- Exploring the applicability of robot-assisted uv disinfection in radiology.Front Robot AI. 2021; 7: 590306
- An IOT approach for monitoring UV disinfection robots.in: 2021 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics (SMC). IEEE, 2021
- Effect of pulsed xenon ultraviolet room disinfection devices on microbial counts for methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus and aerobic bacterial colonies.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 668-673
- Environmental effectiveness of pulsed-xenon light in the operating room.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 1003-1008
- SPSS Survival Manual.McGraw-hill education (UK), 2013
- Ultraviolet light disinfection data sheet.Rev. 2020; (12)
- Ultraviolet irradiation doses for coronavirus inactivation–review and analysis of coronavirus photoinactivation studies.GMS Hygiene Infect control. 2020; 15
- Radiology department preparedness for covid-19: radiology scientific expert panel.Radiology. 2020; 200988
- Ambulance disinfection using ultraviolet germicidal irradiation (UVGI): effects of fixture location and surface reflectivity.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2018; 15: 1-12
- Is the pulsed xenon ultraviolet light no-touch disinfection system effective on methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus in the absence of manual cleaning?.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 32: 5
- Applications of ultraviolet germicidal irradiation disinfection in health care facilities: effective adjunct, but not stand-alone technology.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: S13-S24
Conflicts of interest: Three of the authors (Conor McGinn, Niamh Donnelly, Michael Cullinan) declare a conflict of interest due to their involvement as shareholders of Akara Robotics, a company involved in the development of UVGI technology.