- •Gram-negative bacteria persist on fabrics for more than a month.
- •Moisture enhanced bacterial cells persistence on fabrics.
- •Contaminated fabrics are potential fomites in healthcare settings.
Discussion and conclusions
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- One Health in hospitals: how understanding the dynamics of people, animals, and the hospital built-environment can be used to better inform interventions for antimicrobial-resistant gram-positive infections.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020; 9: 1-17
- Health care-associated infections–an overview.Infect Drug Resist. 2018; 11: 2321
- Healthcare-associated infection and hospital readmission.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 539-544
- Mortality and risks related to healthcare-associated infection.Texto Contexto-Enfermagem. 2015; 24: 220-228
World Health Organization, 2011. Report on the burden of endemic health care-associated infection worldwide.
- Contamination of the surfaces of a health care environment by multidrug-resistant (MDR) bacteria.Int J Microbiol. 2019; 2019: 1-7
- The role of hospital environment in transmissions of multidrug-resistant gram-negative organisms.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020; 9: 1-11
- The role of patient care items as a fomite in healthcare-associated outbreaks and infection prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 1412-1419
- Technical fabric as health care material.Biomed Sci Eng. 2014; 2: 35-39
- Carbapenem-resistant Acinetobacter and role of curtains in an outbreak in intensive care units.J Hosp Infect. 2002; 50: 110-114
- Summertime Bacillus cereus colonization of hospital newborns traced to contaminated, laundered linen.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 85: 149-154
- Significance of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) survey in a university teaching hospital.J Infect Chemother. 2003; 9: 172-177
- The washing machine as a reservoir for transmission of extended-spectrum-beta-lactamase (CTX-M-15)-producing Klebsiella oxytoca ST201 to newborns.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2019; 85 (e01435–19)
- How to optimize the drop plate method for enumerating bacteria.J Microbiol Methods. 2001; 44: 121-129
- Hospital-acquired infections due to gram-negative bacteria.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 1804-1813
- Environmental surfaces in healthcare facilities are a potential source for transmission of Candida auris and other Candida species.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1107-1109
- Persistence of nosocomial pathogens on various fabrics.Eurasian J Med. 2012; 44: p.28
- A survey of gram-negative bacteria survival on hospital fabrics and plastics.J Burn Care Rehabil. 2000; 21: 523-527
- Coliform bacteria, fabrics, and the environment.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 154-158
- Influence of biological fluids in bacterial viability on different hospital surfaces and fomites.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 311-314
- Survival of Shigella dysenteriae type 1 on fomites.J Health Popul Nutr. 2001; : 177-182
- Persistence of Escherichia coli O157 on farm surfaces under different environmental conditions.J Appl Microbiol. 2005; 98: 1075-1083
- Microbial survival and odor in laundry.J Surfactants Deterg. 2001; 4: 385-394
Conflict of interests: None to report.