- •Video engagement improves handwashing duration by 7.5 seconds.
- •Creative and messaging fatigue starts at 3 months.
- •Effective handwashing (greater than or equal to 20 seconds) increases by 39% with video engagement.
- •Handwashing timing has some unique challenges.
- •Various aspects contribute to handwashing duration.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Healthcare-associated infections (HAIs) data portal. 2019. https://www.cdc.gov/hai/data/portal/index.html. Updated November 20, 2020. Accessed July 6, 2021.
- Hand hygiene in hospitals: anatomy of a revolution.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 101: 383-392
- The effectiveness of hand hygiene procedures in reducing the risks of infections in home and community settings including handwashing and alcohol-based hand sanitizers.Am J Infect Control. 2007; 35: S27-S64
- A Pragmatic Randomized controlled trial of 6-Step vs 3-step hand hygiene technique in acute hospital care in the United Kingdom.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 661-666
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. When and how to wash your hands. 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/handwashing/when-how-handwashing.html. Updated June 10, 2021. Accessed July 6, 2021.
- Health care worker perspectives of their motivation to reduce health care–associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1064-1068
World Health Organization. WHO Guidelines on hand hygiene in health care: a summary. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/70126/WHO_IER_PSP_2009.07_eng.pdf;jsessionid=CE948CEC1418D851823AB0D6C2CCEDC1?sequence=1. Published 2009. Accessed August 3, 2021.
- An automated hand hygiene compliance system is associated with decreased rates of health care-associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 1381-1386
Johanns K, Matheney J. Don't let your audience come down with ‘creative fatigue.’ Membership Management Report. 2021;17:4.
Moriwaki D, Fujita K, Yasui S, Hoshino T. Fatigue-Aware Ad Creative Selection. Paper presented at: Workshop SUM ’20: State-based User Modelling; February 3-7, 2020; Houston, TX. Accessed August 3, 2021. https://arxiv.org/pdf/1908.08936v2.pdf
- How message fatigue toward health messages leads to ineffective persuasive outcomes: examining the mediating roles of reactance and inattention.J Health Commun. 2017; 23: 109-116
- Messaging fatigue and desensitisation to information during pandemic.Arch Med Res. 2020; 51: 716-717
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Show me the science - some healthcare providers clean their hands less than half the time they should. 2019. https://www.cdc.gov/handhygiene/science/index.html. Accessed July 6, 2021.
- Seconds save lives - clean your hands": The 5 May 2021 World Health Organization save lives: clean your hands campaign.J Hosp Infect. 2021; 49: 533-535
- Healthcare worker's perspectives on use of memes as an implementation strategy in infection prevention: an exploratory descriptive analysis.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49: 969-971
- The effects of creativity on advertising wear-in and wear-out.J Acad Mark Sci. 2016; 44: 334-349
Ball H, Wozniak T. Why do some Americans resist COVID-19 prevention behavior?An analysis of issue importance, message fatigue, and reactance regarding COVID-19 messaging. Health Commun, ahead of print.
- Using high-technology to enforce low-technology safety measures: the use of third-party remote video auditing and real-time feedback in healthcare.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 54: 1-7
Conflicts of interest: This project included U.S. Patent No. 10,874,761 “Sanitation method and system,” issued December 2020. Co-authors Jeffrey Riggio and Robert Neff co-invented the subject of this patent. The assignee of the patent is Thomas Jefferson University. The claims granted for the patent all relate to monitoring of the dryer and sanitation material in real time, none of which is being described in this manuscript. Furthermore, the monitoring of the dryer and sanitation material in real time was a prototype only and never used for the devices used in this manuscript. The remaining authors have nothing to disclose.