- •We evaluated home health care agency urinary catheter policies and rates of Urinary tract infections (UTI).
- •Home health patients with urinary catheters had frequent hospital transfers for UTI.
- •Urinary catheter policies were negatively associated with hospital transfer for UTI.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Long-term care providers and services users in the United States, 2015–2016. National Center for Health Statistics.Vital Heal Stat. 2019; 3 (Accessed January 4, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/series/sr_03/sr03_43-508.pdf)
- Sepsis: a Review for home healthcare clinicians.Home Healthc Now. 2020; 38: 188-192
- Sepsis survivors transitioned to home health care: characteristics and early readmission risk factors.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 84-90
- Infection in home health care: results from national outcome and assessment information set data.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 454-459
- Infection trends in home health care, 2013–2018.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; (Published online): 1-3
- Risk factors for infection in home health care: analysis of national outcome and assessment information set data.Res Nurs Health. 2020; 43: 373-386
- Home health staff perspectives on infection prevention and control: implications for coronavirus disease 2019.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21 (e4): 1782-1790
McGoldrick M.Home Care Infection Prevention and Control Program. Naples, FL: Home Health Systems, Inc.; 2021.
- A research agenda for infection prevention in home healthcare.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 1071-1073
- Urinary tract infection-related hospitalization among older adults receiving home health care.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47 (e1): 786-792
- Virtual breakthrough series, Part 1: preventing catheter-associated urinary tract infection and hospital-acquired pressure ulcers in the veterans health administration.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2016; 42: 485-AP2
- Indwelling catheter use in home care: elderly, aged 65+, in 11 different countries in Europe.Age Ageing. 2005; 34: 377-381
- Catheter-associated urinary tract infection in primary and community health care.Age Ageing. 2006; 35: 477-481
- Implementation of a nurse-driven protocol for catheter removal to decrease catheter-associated urinary tract infection rate in a surgical trauma ICU.J Intensive Care Med. 2020; 35: 738-744
- Effectiveness of a bundled approach to reduce urinary catheters and infection rates in trauma patients.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 758-763
- Reducing catheter-associated urinary tract infections: a quality-improvement initiative.Pediatrics. 2014; 134: e857-e864
- The state of infection prevention and control at home health agencies in the United States prior to COVID-19: a cross-sectional study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2021; 115: 103841
Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee. Core infection prevention and control practices for safe healthcare delivery in all settings - recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee. Published 2017. Accessed March 4, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/recommendations/core-practices.html
- Infection control in home healthcare: an exploratory study of issues for patients and providers.Home Healthc Nurse. 2012; 30: 235-245
- Non-hospital based registered nurses and the risk of bloodborne pathogen exposure.Ind Health. 2007; 45: 695-704
- The prevalence and risk factors for percutaneous injuries in registered nurses in the home health care sector.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 525-533
- 2447. Impact of agency-level policies and priorities upon infection prevention and control in the home environment: perspectives of home health staff.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6 (S846-S846)
- Integration of palliative care and infection management at the end of life in U.S. nursing homes.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2019; 58 (e1): 408-416
- Changes in US nursing home infection prevention and control programs from 2014 to 2018.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2020; 21: 97-103
- Does integration of palliative care and infection management reduce hospital transfers among nursing home residents?.J Palliat Med. 2021; 24: 1334-1341
- Functional status outcome measures in home health care patients with heart failure.Home Health Care Serv Q. 2010; 29: 155-170
- Predictors of functional capacity changes in a US population of Medicare home health care (HHC) patients with heart failure (HF).Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2012; 54: e300-e306
- Validity testing the Outcomes and Assessment Information Set (OASIS).Home Health Care Serv Q. 2009; 28: 45-57
- How much should we trust differences-in-differences estimates?.Q J Econ. 2004; 119: 249-275
- Central line bundle implementation in US intensive care units and impact on bloodstream infections.PLoS One. 2011; 6: e15452
- Central line-associated bloodstream infection reduction and bundle compliance in intensive care units: a national study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 805-810
- Guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections 2009.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 319-326
- Identifying safe practices for use of the urinary leg bag drainage system in the postacute and long-term care setting: An integrative review.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 973-979
- Evidence-based intervention to reduce avoidable hospital admissions in care home residents (the Better Health in Residents in Care Homes (BHiRCH) study): protocol for a pilot cluster randomised trial.BMJ Open. 2019; 9e026510
- Developing evidence-based guidance for assessment of suspected infections in care home residents.BMC Geriatr. 2020; 20: 59
- Identifying urinary tract infection-related information in home care nursing notes.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2021; 22 (e2): 1015-1021
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. Memorandum: infection control breaches which warrant referral to public health authorities. 2014. Accessed February 22, 2021. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Provider-Enrollment-and-Certification/SurveyCertificationGenInfo/Downloads/Survey-and-Cert-Letter-14-36.pdf
- Validation of the minimum data set in identifying hospitalization events and payment source.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2011; 12: 38-43
The Joint Commission. Home care: national 2021 patient safety goals. Published 2020. Accessed January 4, 2022. https://www.jointcommission.org/standards/national-patient-safety-goals/home-care-national-patient-safety-goals/.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Funding: This work was supported by NINR grant R01NR016865.