- •There is increasing evidence that methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) nasal swabs have a high negative predictive value in skin and skin structure infections (SSSIs).
- •Negative MRSA nasal swabs have potential to decrease duration of vancomycin and other anti-MRSA therapy in SSSIs.
- •Implementation of MRSA nasal swabs and their utility in potential de-escalation may contribute to antimicrobial stewardship goals.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the infectious diseases society of america.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: e10-e52
- Trends in us hospital admissions for skin and soft tissue infections.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 1516-1518
- Screening for Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (Mrsa) - a valuable antimicrobial stewardship tool?.Expert Rev Anti-infect Ther. 2021; 19: 957-959
Healthcare Settings: Preventing the Spread of MRSA. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Published February 28, 2019. Accessed June 15, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/healthcare/index.html.
- Correlation of MRSA polymerase chain reaction (Pcr) wound swab testing and wound cultures in skin and soft tissue infections.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2021; 100115389
- Microbiology of skin and soft tissue infections in the age of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013; 76: 24-30
- Association of adverse events with antibiotic use in hospitalized patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1308
- Systematic review and meta-analysis of acute kidney injury associated with concomitant vancomycin and piperacillin/tazobactam.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 64: 666-674
- Predictive value of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (Mrsa) nasal swab pcr assay for mrsa pneumonia.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 859-864
- Clinical utility of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nasal polymerase chain reaction assay in critically ill patients with nosocomial pneumonia.J Crit Care. 2017; 38: 168-171
- Clinical utility of a nasal swab methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus polymerase chain reaction test in intensive and intermediate care unit patients with pneumonia.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016; 86: 307-310
- Active identification of patients who are methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonized is not associated with longer duration of vancomycin therapy.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1081-1085
- Does universal active MRSA surveillance influence anti-MRSA antibiotic use? A retrospective analysis of the treatment of patients admitted with suspicion of infection at Veterans Affairs Medical Centers between 2005 and 2010.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 69: 3401-3408
- MRSA nares swab is a more accurate predictor of MRSA wound infection compared with clinical risk factors in emergency department patients with skin and soft tissue infections.Emerg Med J. 2018; 35: 357-360
- Diagnostic accuracy of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus nasal colonization to predict methicillin-resistant S aureus soft tissue infections.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1176-1177
- Core Elements of Hospital Antibiotic Stewardship Programs.US Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website, Atlanta, GA2019 (Accessed May 3, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/antibiotic-use/core-elements/hospital.html)
- Age-based health and economic burden of skin and soft tissue infections in the United States, 2000 and 2012.PLoS ONE. 2018; 13 (Picone GA, ed)e0206893
- Determining the utility of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus nares screening in antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 71: 1142-1148
- Role of nasal methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus screening in the management of skin and soft tissue infections.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: 657-659
- Diagnostic accuracy of culture-based and PCR-based detection tests for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a meta-analysis.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011; 17: 146-154
- Chromogenic media vs real-time pcr for nasal surveillance of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus: impact on detection of mrsa-positive persons.Am J Clin Pathol. 2009; 131: 532-539
Conflicts of interest: Krutika N. Mediwala has speakers bureau with Cepheid Diagnostics. The remaining authors have nothing to report.