- •We examined the audit by pharmacists in whole antibiotics for E. coli bacteremia.
- •Antimicrobial use was reduced 29% by pharmacist intervention after three years.
- •Anti-pseudomonal drug use was reduced by 42% after three years intervention.
- •Pharmacists’ intervention was reduced costs by 24% without changing mortality.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Epidemiology of Escherichia coli bacteremia: A systematic literature review.Clin. Infect. Dis. 2021; 72: 1211-1219
- Frequent isolation of extended-spectrum beta-lactamase-producing bacteria from fecal samples of individuals with severe motor and intellectual disabilities.J Infect Chemother. 2018; 24: 182-187
- Potential interventions for an antimicrobial stewardship bundle for Escherichia coli bacteraemia.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2021; 57: 106301
- Clinical outcome of pharmacist-led prospective audit with intervention and feedback after expansion from patients using specific antibiotics to those using whole injectable antibiotics.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2019; 38: 593-600
- Implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Health Care Epidemiology of America (Executive Summary).Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: 1-27
- Syndrome-specific versus prospective audit and feedback interventions for reducing use of broad-spectrum antimicrobial agents.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 1284-1289
- Outcome measurement of extensive implementation of antimicrobial stewardship in patients receiving intravenous antibiotics in a Japanese university hospital.Int J Clin Pract. 2012; 66: 999-1008
- The effect of an antimicrobial stewardship programme in two intensive care units of a teaching hospital: an interrupted time series analysis.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2020; 26: 782.e1-782.e6
- Septic shock: a multidisciplinary response team and weekly feedback to clinicians improve the process of care and mortality.Crit Care Med. 2011; 39: 252-258
- Mortality following bacteraemic infection caused by extended spectrum beta-lactamase (ESBL) producing E. coli compared to non-ESBL producing E. coli.J Infect. 2007; 55: 254-259
- Derivation of a quick Pitt bacteremia score to predict mortality in patients with Gram-negative bloodstream infection.Infection. 2019; 47: 571-578
- The clinical course of rapidly growing nontuberculous mycobacterial peritoneal dialysis infections in Asians: a case series and literature review.Nephrology. 2011; 16: 174-179
Japanese Association for Infectious Diseases/Japanese Society of Chemotherapy, The JAID/JSC Guide/Guidelines to Clinical Management of Infectious Disease Preparing Committee, Sepsis working group; Arakawa S, Kasai M, Kawai S, et al. Japanese Society of Chemotherapy. The JAID/JSC guide to clinical management of infectious diseases 2019. J Infect Chemother. 2021;27:657–677.
- Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software ‘EZR’ for medical statistics.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013; 48: 452-458
- Role of early de-escalation of antimicrobial therapy on risk of Clostridioides difficile infection following Enterobacteriaceae bloodstream infections.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 414-420
- Oral beta-lactam step down in bacteremic E. coli urinary tract infections.BMC Infect Dis. 2020; 20: 785
- Seven versus 14 days of antibiotic therapy for uncomplicated gram-negative bacteremia: A noninferiority randomized controlled trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 1091-1098
- The Maturing antibiotic mantra: ‘Shorter Is Still Better.J Hosp Med. 2018; 13: 361-362
- The New antibiotic mantra-"Shorter Is Better".JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1254-1255
- Impact of infectious diseases consultation on the outcome of patients with bacteraemia.Ther Adv Infect Dis. 2019; 6 (:2049936119893576)
- Classifying antibiotics in the WHO essential medicines list for optimal use—be AWaRe.Lancet Infect Dis. 2018; 18: 18-20
- Long-term efficacy of comprehensive multidisciplinary antibiotic stewardship programs centered on weekly prospective audit and feedback.Infection. 2018; 46: 215-224
- Long-term effects of an antimicrobial stewardship programme at a tertiary-care teaching hospital.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2015; 45: 262-267
- Long-term outcomes of an antimicrobial stewardship program implemented in a hospital with low baseline antibiotic use.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 664-672
Conflicts of interest: None of the authors have conflicts of interest, relevant to this study, to declare.