- •Surgical hand preparation may be performed using alcohol or antimicrobial soap.
- •We evaluated the surgeons’ tolerance and acceptability to each one of these methods.
- •Handrubbing and handscrubbing were equally well tolerated by surgeons.
- •Alcohol-based surgical hand preparation was preferred by most of them.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Financial impact of failing to prevent surgical site infections.Qual Manag Health Care. 2007; 6: 219-225
- Strategies to prevent surgical site infections in acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: s66-s88
- Changes in prevalence of health care–associated infections in U.S. Hospitals.N Engl J Med. 2018; 379: 1732-1744
- Point Prevalence Survey of Healthcare-Associated Infections and Antimicrobial use in European Acute Care Hospitals.ECDC, Stockholm2013 (Accessed February 22, 2022)https://ecdc.europa.eu/sites/portal/files/media/en/publications/Publications/healthcare-associated-infections-antimicrobial-use-PPS.pdf
- Incidência e fatores de risco para infecção de sítio cirúrgico em cirurgias gerais.Rev. latinoam. enferm. 2017; 25: e2848
- Guideline for prevention of surgical site infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999; 20: 250-278
World Health Organization (WHO). Global Guidelines for the Prevention of Surgical Site Infection. Geneva, Switzerland, WHO; 2016.
World Health Organization (WHO). WHO Guidelines on Hand Hygiene in Health Care. First Global Patient Safety Challenge. Clean Care is Safe Care. Geneva, Switzerland, WHO; 2009.
Agência Nacional de Vigilância Sanitária (Brasil). Nota Técnica GVIMS/GGTES/ANVISA N°01.2018. Orientações gerais para higiene das mãos em serviços de saúde. Brasília, 2020. Disponível em. Accessed February 22, 2022. https://www20.anvisa.gov.br/segurancadopaciente/index.php/alertas/item/nota-tecnica-gvims-ggtes-anvisa-n-07-2020.
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings: recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force.MMWR. 2002; 51 (No. RR16)
- Guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings. recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force.MMWR Recomm Rep. 2002; 51: 1-45
- Using alcohol for hand antisepsis: dispelling old myths.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 442-448
- How irritant is alcohol?.Br J Dermatol. 2007; 157: 74-81
- Surgical hands antisepsis with alcohol-based preparations: cost-effectiveness, compliance of professionals and ecological benefits in the Brazilian healthcare scenario.J Bras Econ Saúde. 2014; 6: 71-80
- Revisão sistemática sobre antissepsia cirúrgica das mãos com preparação alcoólica em comparação aos produtos tradicionais.Rev. Esc. Enferm. USP [Internet]. 2012; 46: 1484-1493
CSN EN 12791. European Standards. Chemical Disinfectants and Antiseptics: Surgical Hand Disinfection. TestMmethod and Requirements (Phase2/Step2). Brussels. 2005. Accessed February 22, 2022. https://standards.globalspec.com/std/13065377/EN%2012791
ASTM E 1115 –11. International Standards Worldwide. Standard Test Method for Evaluation of Surgical Hand Scrub Formulations [Internet]. West Conshohocken; 2011. Accessed February 22, 2022. http://enterprise.astm.org/filtrexx40.cgi?+REDLINE_PAGES/E1115.htm
- Manual para observadores: estratégia multimodal da OMS para melhoria da higienização das mãos.OPAS e ANVISA, Brasília2008
- Hand hygiene and skin health.J Hosp Infect. 2003; 55: 239-245
- A prospective multicenter study evaluating skin tolerance to standard hand hygiene techniques.Am J Infect Control. 2011; 39: 6-13
- An in-use evaluation of an alcohol-based pre-surgical hand disinfectant.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 221: 635-639
- Duale. An in-use microbiological comparison of two surgical hand disinfection techniques in cardiothoracic surgery: hand rubbing vs hand scrubbing.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 67: 62-66
- Alcohol-based surgical hand preparation: translating scientific evidence into clinical practice.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 80
- Practical experience in a surgical unit when changing from scrub to rub.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: S40-S42
- Prevalence and risk factors for xerosis in the elderly: a cross-sectional epidemiological study in primary care.Dermatology. 2011; 223: 260-265
- An integrated framework for sustainable development goals.Ecol Soc. 2014; 19
United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) and World Health Organization. Progress on Household Drinking Water, Sanitation and Hygiene 2000-2017. Special Focus on Inequalities. 2019. New York.
Funding/support: The present study was supported by the World Health Organization (WHO). Implementation Research Regional Centre for the Americas' Region, grant nº 2016/611167-1.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.