- •The incidence of Community-Onset, Healthcare Facility-Associated (CO-HCFA-CDI) cases increased from 2016 to 2018.
- •The Clostridioides difficile infection (CDI) rate was lower compared to other series of patients with cancer.
- •Cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, and proton-pump inhibitors increased the risk of CDI acquisition.
- •Fever, abdominal pain, and ≥4 episodes of diarrhea/24h were related to CDI diagnosis.
- •Older age and male gender were associated with severe initial CDI episodes.
- •Thirty-day all-cause mortality was higher among CDI patients than controls.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Burden of Clostridium difficile Infection in the United States.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 825-834
- Trends in U.S. burden of Clostridioides difficile infection and outcomes.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 1320-1330
- Cost of hospital management of Clostridium difficile infection in United States-a meta-analysis and modelling study.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 447
- Increasing rates of Clostridium difficile infection in Mexican hospitals.Braz J Infect Dis. 2017; 21: 530-534
- Factors associated with an outbreak of hospital-onset, healthcare facility-associated Clostridium difficile infection (HO-HCFA CDI) in a Mexican tertiary care hospital: a case-control study. Deshpande A, editor.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0198212
- Trends in the incidence and outcomes of hospitalized cancer patients with Clostridium difficile infection: a nationwide analysis.J Natl Compr Cancer Net. 2017; 15: 466-472
- Poorer outcomes among cancer patients diagnosed with Clostridium difficile infections in United States community hospitals.BMC Infect Dis. 2017; 17: 448
- Hospital-Onset Clostridium difficile infection rates in persons with cancer or hematopoietic stem cell transplant: a C3IC network report.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 1162-1165
- Clostridium difficile in Immunocompromised hosts: a review of epidemiology, risk factors, treatment, and prevention.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 68: 2144-2153
- Host and pathogen factors for Clostridium difficile infection and colonization.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 1693-1703
- Emergence of fluoroquinolones as the predominant risk factor for clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea: a cohort study during an epidemic in Quebec.Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 41: 1254-1260
- Community-associated Clostridium difficile infection and antibiotics: a meta-analysis.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 68: 1951-1961
- Iatrogenic gastric acid suppression and the risk of nosocomial clostridium difficile infection.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 7
- Use of gastric acid-suppressive agents and the risk of community-acquired Clostridium difficile-associated disease.JAMA. 2005; 294: 2989-2995
- Risk factors associated with Clostridium difficile infection in adult oncology patients with a history of recent hospitalization for febrile neutropenia.Leuk Lymphoma. 2012; 53: 1617-1619
- Risk factors, outcomes and epidemiology associated with Clostridium difficile infection in patients with haematological malignancies in a tertiary care hospital in China.J Med Microbiol. 2015; 64: 209-216
- Risks factors and outcomes of Clostridium difficile infection in patients with cancer: a matched case-control study.Support Care Cancer. 2017; 25: 1923-1930
- Risk factors for Clostridium difficile infection in hemato-oncological patients: a case control study in 144 patients.Sci Rep. 2016; 6: 31498
- The epidemiology of Clostridium difficile infection in patients with cancer.Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2016; 14: 1077-1085
- Risk factors associated with Clostridium difficile infection in adult oncology patients.Support Care Cancer. 2015; 23: 1569-1577
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for Clostridium difficile Infection in Adults and Children: 2017 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA).Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: e1-48
- Clinical practice guidelines for Clostridium difficile infection in adults: 2010 update by the society for healthcare epidemiology of America (SHEA) and the infectious diseases society of America (IDSA).Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. United States;. 2010; 31: 431-455
- Guidelines for diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of clostridium difficile infections.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 478-498
- Burden of Clostridioides difficile infection (CDI) - a systematic review of the epidemiology of primary and recurrent CDI.BMC Infect Dis. 2021; 21: 456
- Recent epidemiology of Clostridium difficile infection during hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: CDI in hematopoietic transplantation.Clin Transplant. 2011; 25: E82-E87
- Determining the risk factors associated with the development of Clostridium difficile infection in patients with hematological diseases.Blood Res. 2019; 54: 120-124
- Proton pump inhibitors therapy and risk of Clostridium difficile infection: systematic review and meta-analysis.World J Gastroenterol. 2017; 23: 6500-6515
- Epidemiology of Clostridium difficile: a hospital-based descriptive study in Argentina and Mexico.Braz J Infect Dis. 2015; 19: 8-14
- Clostridium difficile outbreak caused by NAP1/BI/027 strain and non-027 strains in a Mexican hospital.Braz J Infect Dis. 2016; 20: 8-13
- A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of clostridium difficile–associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortality.N Engl J Med. 2005; 8
- Clostridium difficile study group Hesse. Increased incidence of Clostridium difficile PCR ribotype 027 in Hesse, Germany, 2011 to 2013.Euro Surveill. 2014; 19: 20732
- Emergence of Clostridium difficile NAP1 in Latin America.J Clin Microbiol. 2010; 48: 669-670
- An epidemic, toxin gene-variant strain of Clostridium difficile.N Engl J Med. 2005; 353: 2433-2441
- First Report of Clostridium difficile NAP1/027 in a Mexican Hospital. Heimesaat MM, editor.PLoS One. 2015; 10e0122627
- Predictors of mortality attributable to Clostridium difficile infection in patients with underlying malignancy.Support Care Cancer. 2014; 22: 2039-2048
- Role of the leukocyte response in normal and immunocompromised host after Clostridium difficile infection.Anaerobe. 2017; 45: 101-105
- Evaluation of advanced age as a risk factor for severe Clostridium difficile infection.J Clini Gerontol Geriatr. 2016; 7: 12-16
- Clinical risk factors for severe Clostridium difficile –associated disease.Emerg Infect Dis. 2009; 15: 415-422
- Determinants of clostridium difficile infection incidence across diverse United States geographic locations.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2014; 1 (ofu048)
- Recurrent Clostridium difficile Diarrhea: characteristics of and risk factors for patients enrolled in a prospective, randomized, double-blinded trial.Clin Infect Dis. 1997; 24: 324-333
- Sex differences in immune responses.Nat Rev Immunol. 2016; 16: 626-638
Financial support: No specific founding was disclosed.
Conflicts of interest: No conflict of interests were declared by the authors
Data statement: Data available on request from the authors.