- •Members of Burkholderia cepacia complex (Bcc) are opportunistic Gram-negative bacteria.
- •Bcc are intrinsically resistant to many disinfectants and antibiotics and are stable in the hospital environment and solutions like chlorhexidine and ultrasound (USG) gels.
- •The main source of the infection by Bcc were due to USG guided central line insertion and during urological examinations.
- •Identification of the source of outbreak and implementation of appropriate infection prevention and control (IPC) responses are the most important steps for outbreak control.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- An outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia complex pseudobacteremia associated with intrinsically contaminated commercial 0.5% chlorhexidine solution.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 266-268
- Successful outbreak investigation of Burkholderia cepacia complex bacteremia in intensive care patients.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 580-581
- Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia complex infections associated with contaminated octenidine mouthwash solution, Germany, August to September 2018.Eurosurveillance. 2018; 23
- Clinical outcome of Burkholderia cepacia complex infection in cystic fibrosis adults.J Cyst Fibros. 2004; 3: 93-98
- Burkholderia multivorans Sepsis outbreak in a neonatal surgical unit of a tertiary care hospital.Indian J Pediatr. 2021; 88 (–725): 725
- Carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae screening: a core infection control measure for critical care unit in India?.Indian J Med Microbiol. 2018; 36: 572-576
- Healthcare-associated respiratory tract infection and colonization in an intensive care unit caused by Burkholderia cepacia isolated in mouthwash.Int J Infect Dis. 2014; 29: 96-99
- Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia bacteremia in immunocompetent children caused by contaminated nebulized sulbutamol in Saudi Arabia.Am J Infect Control. 2006; 34: 394-398
- Moisturizing body milk as a reservoir of Burkholderia cepacia: outbreak of nosocomial infection in a multidisciplinary intensive care unit.Crit Care. 2008; 12: R10
- Burkholderia cepacia infections associated with intrinsically contaminated ultrasound gel: the role of microbial degradation of parabens.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 291-296
- What's in your bottle? investigating a Pseudo-outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: S8-S9
- Outbreak of catheter-related burkholderia cepacia sepsis acquired from contaminated ultrasonography gel: the importance of strengthening hospital infection control measures in low resourced settings.Infez Med. 2020; 28: 551-557
- An investigation on surgical-site infection among post cesarean section patients with Burkholderia cepacia contaminated ultrasonic couplant.Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2014; 35: 566-568
- Hospital outbreak of urinary tract infections by lubricant gel contaminated with Burkholderia cepacia.Rev Med Inst Mex Seguro Soc. 2021; 50: 615-622
- Ultrasound gel as a source of hospital outbreaks: Indian experience and literature review.Indian J Med Microbiol. 2019; 37: 263-267
- Polyclonal outbreak of bacteremia caused by Burkholderia cepacia complex and the presumptive role of ultrasound gel.Brazilian J Infect Dis. 2015; 19: 543-545
- Sustained endemicity of Burkholderia cepacia complex in a pediatric institution, associated with contaminated ultrasound gel.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 362-366
- Outbreak of health care-associated Burkholderia cenocepacia bacteremia and infection attributed to contaminated sterile gel used for central line insertion under ultrasound guidance and other procedures.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 954-958
- Outbreak of Burkholderia cepacia bacteraemia in a tertiary care centre due to contaminated ultrasound probe gel.J Hosp Infect. 2018; 98: 289-294
- Burkholderia cepacia – outbreak in obstetric patients due to intrinsic contamination of non-sterile ultrasound gel.BMC Proc. 2011; 5: O75
- Investigation and control of an outbreak of urinary tract infections caused by Burkholderia cepacian-contaminated anesthetic gel.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2021; 10: 1-7
- Antibiotic resistance in Burkholderia species.Drug Resist Updat. 2016; 28: 82-90
- Burkholderia cepacia complex bacteria: a feared contamination risk in water-based pharmaceutical products.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2020; 33: e00139-19
- MALDI-TOF MS meets WGS in a VRE outbreak investigation.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017; 36: 495-499
- Health-care workers: source, vector, or victim of MRSA?.Lancet Infect Dis. 2008; 8: 289-301
- Systematic review of healthcare-associated Burkholderia cepacia complex outbreaks: presentation, causes and outbreak control.Infect Prev Pract. 2020; 2100082