- •Health care environmental hygiene practices are lacking around the world.
- •The survey analyzed the components of the WHO multimodal implementation strategy in regards to health care facilities’ environmental hygiene.
- •Many countries lack access to basic adequate supplies and procedures, even in higher income settings.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The burden of healthcare-associated infection.Hand Hygiene: A Handbook for Medical Professionals. Wiley-Blackwell, 2017
Environmental Hygiene in Health Care. HAI. Centers for disease control. (2019). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/hai/research/eic-meeting.html
- Health care environmental hygiene: new insights and centers for disease control and prevention guidance.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2021; 35: 609-629
- Cleaning hospital room surfaces to prevent health care–associated infections.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 598-607
- Controlling hospital-acquired infection: focus on the role of the environment and new technologies for decontamination.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014; 27: 665-690
- Keeping hospitals clean and safe without breaking the bank; summary of the healthcare cleaning forum 2018.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 132
World Health Organization. Guidelines on core components of infection prevention and control programmes at the national and acute health care facility level. WHO. (2016). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/251730
- Risk of acquiring antibiotic-resistant bacteria from prior room occupants.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1945-1951
World Health Organization. WHO infection prevention and control assessment framework at the acute health care facility level. WHO. (2018). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-HIS-SDS-2018.9
World Health Organization. WHO Hand Hygiene Self-Assessment Framework. WHO. (2018). Accessed March 29, 2022. http://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/hhsa_framework/en.
- Testing the WHO hand hygiene self-assessment framework for usability and reliability.J. Hosp. Infect. 2013; 83: 30-35
- Global hand hygiene improvement progress: two surveys using the WHO hand hygiene self-assessment framework.J. Hosp. Infect. 2018; 100: 202-206
- WHO HH Global Survey Instructions. WHO, 2019 (Accessed March 29, 2022)
- Implementation of hand hygiene in healthcare facilities: results from the WHO hand hygiene self-assessment framework global survey 2019.Lancet Infecit Dis. 2022;
CleanHospitals. Clean Hospitals (2019). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://cleanhospitals.com
World Health Organization. Summary report: hand hygiene self-assessment framework survey 2015/2016. A report from the WHO infection prevention and control global unit. WHO. (2016). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/hand-hygiene-report.pdf?ua=1
World Health Organization. WHO hand hygiene self-assessment framework global survey summary report 2011. WHO. (2012). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://www.who.int/gpsc/5may/summary_report_HHSAF_global_survey_May12.pdf?ua
World Health Organization. 2019 WHO Global survey on infection prevention and control (IPC) and hand hygiene. WHO. (2019). Accessed March 29, 2022. http://www.who.int/infection-prevention/campaigns/ipc-global-survey-2019/en.
World Bank Country and Lending Groups. World bank data help desk. World bank. Accessed March 29, 2022. https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/knowledgebase/articles/906519-world-bank-country-and-lending-groups.
World Health Organization. WHO multimodal improvement strategy. (2009). Accessed March 29, 2022. https://www.who.int/infection-prevention/publications/ipc-cc-mis.pdf
- WHO multimodal promotion strategy.Hand Hygiene: A Handbook for Medical Professionals. Wiley-Blackwell, 2017: 230-243
- Hospitals in select countries worldwide.Statista. 2019; (Accessed March 29, 2022)
- Sample size for pre-tests of questionnaires.Qual Life Res. 2015; 24: 147-151
- Enhanced terminal room disinfection and acquisition and infection caused by multidrug-resistant organisms and Clostridium difficile (the Benefits of Enhanced Terminal Room Disinfection study): a cluster-randomized, multicenter, crossover study.Lancet. 2017; 389: 805-814
- Controlling methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in a hospital and the role of hydrogen peroxide decontamination: an interrupted time series analysis.BMJ Open. 2014; 4e004522
- An environmental cleaning bundle and health-care-associated infections in hospitals (REACH): a multicentre, randomised trial.Lancet Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 410-418
- Comparison of the effect of detergent versus hypochlorite cleaning on environmental contamination and incidence of Clostridium difficile infection.J Hosp Infect. 2003; 54: 109-114
- Implementation of hospital-wide enhanced terminal cleaning of targeted patient rooms and its impact on endemic Clostridium difficile infection rates.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 537-541
- Environmental disinfection with photocatalyst as an adjunctive measure to control transmission of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a prospective cohort study in a high-incidence setting.BMC Infect Dis. 2018; 18: 610
- Use of a daily disinfectant cleaner instead of a daily cleaner reduced hospital-acquired infection rates.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 141-146
- Environmental services impact on healthcare-associated Clostridium difficile reduction.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 400-405
- Risk of organism acquisition from prior room occupants: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Hosp Infect. 2015; 91: 211-217
- Control of endemic multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacteria after removal of sinks and implementing a new water-safe policy in an intensive care unit.J Hosp Infect. 2018; 98: 275-281
- A successful vancomycin-resistant enterococci reduction bundle at a Singapore hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 107-109
- Implementation of human factors engineering approach to improve environmental cleaning and disinfection in a medical center.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2020; 9: 17
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding/support: This work is supported by the Infection Control Programme, University of Geneva Hospitals and Faculty of Medicine, Geneva, Switzerland; hand hygiene research activities at the SPCI are also supported by the Swiss National Science Foundation (grant no. 32003B_163262 ).
Conflicts of interest: None to report.