- •Reported adherence was highest at the hospital practicing universal decolonization.
- •Patients vary in their concern about surgical site infections.
- •Patients vary in the effort they will extend to prevent surgical site infections.
- •Few patients reported either barriers to adherence or side effects.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The role of nasal carriage in Staphylococcus aureus infections.Lancet Infect Dis. 2005; 5: 751-762
- Patient experience with mupirocin or povidone-iodine nasal decolonization.Orthopedics. 2014; 37: e576-e581
- Cost-effectiveness of preoperative nasal mupirocin treatment in preventing surgical site infection in patients undergoing total hip and knee arthroplasty: a cost-effectiveness analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 152-159
- Preventing surgical-site infections in nasal carriers of Staphylococcus aureus.N Engl J Med. 2010; 362: 9-17
- Antimicrobial-resistant pathogens associated with healthcare-associated infections: summary of data reported to the National Healthcare Safety Network at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2009-2010.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 1-14
- Decolonization of drug-resistant organisms before total joint arthroplasty.Instr Course Lect. 2010; 59: 131-137
- A preoperative decolonization protocol for Staphylococcus aureus prevents orthopaedic infections.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2008; 466: 1343-1348
- Surgical site infections following coronary artery bypass graft procedures: 10 years of surveillance data.BMC Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 318
- Thirteen-year experience with universal Staphylococcus aureus nasal decolonisation prior to Cardiac surgery: a quasi-experimental study.J Hosp Infect. 2018; (S0195-6701(18)30261-30265)
- Postoperative spinal wound infection: a review of 2391 consecutive index procedures.J Spinal Discord. 2000; 13: 422-426
- Risk factors for infection after spinal surgery.Spine. 2005; 30: 1460-1465
- Clinical significance of positive cranial bone flap cultures and associated risk of surgical site infection after craniotomies or craniectomies.J Neurosurg. 2011; 114: 1746-1754
- Risk factors for neurosurgical site infections after craniotomy: a critical reappraisal of antibiotic prophylaxis on 4,578 patients.Br J Neurosurg. 2005; 19: 155-162
- Decolonization in prevention of health care-associated infections.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2016; 29: 201-222
- Intranasal mupirocin to prevent postoperative Staphylococcus aureus infections.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 1871-1877
- Staphylococcus aureus carriage patterns and the risk of infections associated with continuous peritoneal dialysis.J Clin Microbiol. 2006; 44: 2233-2236
- Effectiveness of a bundled intervention of decolonization and prophylaxis to decrease Gram positive surgical site infections after cardiac or orthopedic surgery: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2013; 346 (PMID: 23766464; PMCID: PMC3681273): f2743
- Association of a bundled intervention with surgical site infections among patients undergoing cardiac, hip, or knee surgery.JAMA. 2015; 313: 2162-2171
- Preventing surgical site infections: a randomized, open-label trial of nasal mupirocin ointment and nasal povidone-iodine solution.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 826-832
- Impact of preoperative screening for meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by real-time polymerase chain reaction in patients undergoing cardiac surgery.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 69: 124-130
- Current practice in Staphylococcus aureus screening and decolonization.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2011; 32: 1042-1044
- Variable screening and decolonization protocols for Staphylococcus aureus carriage prior to surgery.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 880-882
- Universal staphylococcal decolonization for elective surgeries: the patient perspective.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 391-393
- Surgical site infection prevention initiative patient attitude and compliance.Bull NYU Hosp Jt Dis. 2011; 69 (-312): 312
- Patient compliance with preoperative disinfection protocols for lower extremity total joint arthroplasty.Surg Technol Int. 2015; 26: 351-354
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.
Funding: The study was funded by grant 1R18HS022467-01 from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality.