- •A care bundle reduces rates of surgical site infection post caesarean section.
- •Less wound infection and return to theatre after care bundle implementation.
- •Unchanged endometritis rates after care bundle implementation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2021) Australia's mothers and babies, AIHW, Australian Government. Accessed September 1, 2022. https://www.aihw.gov.au/reports-data/population-groups/mothers-babies/overview.
- Betadine Study Group. The Betadine trial - antiseptic wound irrigation prior to skin closure at caesarean section to prevent surgical site infection: A randomised controlled trial.Australian New Zealand J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016; 56: 301-306
- Full body versus partial (op site only) bath with skin antiseptics to prevent surgical site infection).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; 2: CD004985
- Pre-operative hair removal: a literature review.Int J Nurs Clin Pract. 2016; 3: 163
- Vaginal preparation with antiseptic solution before cesarean section for preventing postoperative infections.Meta-Analysis Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 4CD007892
- Skin preparation for prevention of surgical site infection after cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: 1251-1257
- A randomized trial comparing skin antiseptic agents at cesarean delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 647-655
- Effects of maternal obesity on tissue concentrations of prophylactic cefazolin during cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 877-882
- Efficacy of triclosan-coated sutures for reducing risk of surgical site infection in adults: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.J Surg Res. 2016; 201: 105-117
- Do surgical care bundles reduce the risk of surgical site infections in patients undergoing colorectal surgery? A systematic review and cohort meta-analysis of 8,515 patients.Surgery. 2015; 158: 66-77
- Care bundle approach to reduce surgical site infections in acute surgical intensive care unit.Cairo, Egypt. Infect Drug Resist. 2020; 13: 229-236
- Implementing a surgical site infection care bundle: Implications for perioperative practice.J Perioperat Nurs. 2019; 32 (Iss. 2, Article 4)
- Evidence-based bundles and cesarean delivery surgical site infections: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 735-746
Nankervis A, McIntyre HD, Moses R, et al. McElduff a for the australasian diabetes in pregnancy society ADIPS consensus guidelines for the testing and diagnosis of hyperglycaemia in pregnancy in Australia and New Zealand (modified November 2014).
- Reduction and sustainability of cesarean section surgical site infection: An evidence-based, innovative, and multidisciplinary quality improvement intervention bundle program.Am Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1315-1320
- Implementation of vaginal preparation prior to caesarean section.BMJ Open Quality. 2020; 9e000976
- The use of O-ring retractors at Caesarean section: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Euro J Obstet Gynecol Reproduct Biol. 2018; 228: 209-214
- Update on surgical site infections: The new CDC guidelines.JAAPA. 2018; 31: 52-54
- Seabrook Response to ReviewersGR. Evidence for preadmission showering regimen to achieve maximal antiseptic skin surface concentrations of chlorhexidine gluconate, 4% in surgical patients.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 1027-1332
WHO Surgical Site Infection prevention guidelines 2018 appendix 2 summary of a systematic review on preoperative bathing.
- Perioperative hair removal: A review of best practice and a practice improvement opportunity.J Perioperat Pract. 2018; 28: 159-166
Association of PeriOperative Registered Nurses. AORN Perioperative efficiency toolkit 2016.
- Skin preparation for preventing infection following caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; : CD007462
National Institute For Health And Clinical Excellence (2017) Surgical Site Infections: Prevention And Treatment: Clinical Guidelines [CG74].
- Caesarean section wound infection surveillance.Inform act. 2018; 5: 518-524
- Adjunctive azithromycin prophylaxis for cesarean delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1231-1241
- Evaluation of adjunctive azithromycin prophylaxis in women undergoing cesarean delivery in a setting with low baseline incidence of surgical site infection.JOCG. 2021; 43: 1062-1068
- Surgical site infection in cesarean sections with the use of a plastic sheath wound retractor compared to the traditional self-retaining metal retractor.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2016; 203: 232-238
- A barrier retractor to reduce surgical site infections and wound disruptions in obese patients undergoing cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.ACOG. 2016; 214: 285
- Best practice perioperative strategies and surgical techniques for preventing caesarean section surgical site infections: a systematic review of reviews and meta-analyses.BJOG. 2018; 125 (956–64): 956-964
- Methods of delivering the placenta at caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008; : CD004737
- Closed incision negative pressure wound therapy versus standard dressings in obese women undergoing caesarean section: multicentre parallel group randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2021; 373: n893
Conflicts of interest: None to report.