- •This study provides a complete picture of how fast active tuberculosis emerge in prison population.
- •The speed of becoming ill from tuberculosis increases when inmates are exposed to higher overcrowded settings.
- •Higher physical space per person in the cell increases the tuberculosis-free survival time.
- •This study supports the need for a drastic reduction in overcrowding and an increase in physical space to control tuberculosis in prison population.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Tuberculosis incidence in prisons: a systematic review.PLoS Med. 2010; 7e1000381https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1000381
- Departamento de Informática do SUS.Informações de saúde (TABNET): tuberculose. 2019; (Accessed May 5, 2021. Accessed from:)
- Impact of incarceration on tuberculosis incidence and its interaction with income distribution inequality in Brazil.Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2020; 114: 23-30https://doi.org/10.1093/trstmh/trz088
- Evaluating strategies for control of tuberculosis in prisons and prevention of spillover into communities: An observational and modeling study from Brazil.PLoS Med. 2019; 16e1002737https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002737
- Prisons as reservoir for community transmission of tuberculosis.Brazil. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015; 21https://doi.org/10.3201/eid2103.140896
- Smear positive pulmonary tuberculosis and HIV co-infection in prison settings of North Gondar Zone, Northwest Ethiopia.BMC Public Health. 2016; 16: 1091https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-016-3761-y
- Risk factors for developing tuberculosis in remand prisons in St. Petersburg, Russia - a case-control study.Eur J Epidemiol. 2007; 22: 121-127https://doi.org/10.1007/s10654-006-9068-z
- Controlling tuberculosis in prisons against confinement conditions: a lost case? Experience from Cameroon.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis Off J Int Union Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011; 15 (i): 223-227
- Prevalence of tuberculosis and associated risk factors in the Central Prison of Mbuji-Mayi, Democratic Republic of Congo.Trop Med Health. 2016; 44: 30https://doi.org/10.1186/s41182-016-0030-9
- Tuberculosis in a South African prison - a transmission modelling analysis.South Afr Med J Suid-Afr Tydskr Vir Geneeskd. 2011; 101: 809-813
- The Impact of Ventilation and Early Diagnosis on Tuberculosis Transmission in Brazilian Prisons.Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2015; 93: 739-746https://doi.org/10.4269/ajtmh.15-0166
- Modelling the Impact of Different Tuberculosis Control Interventions on the Prevalence of Tuberculosis in an Overcrowded Prison.Asia Pac J Public Health. 2018; 30: 235-243https://doi.org/10.1177/1010539518757229
- Levantamento Nacional de Informações Penitenciárias — Infopen. 2017; (Accessed May 5, 2021. Accessed from:)
- Methodological issues in quantifying the magnitude of the tuberculosis problem in a prison population.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis Off J Int Union Tuberc Lung Dis. 2011; 15: 662-667https://doi.org/10.5588/ijtld.10.0433
- Manual de Utilização do TBWEB- V 1.6.Secretaria de Saúde do Estado de São Paulo: São Paulo. 2008; (Accessed May 5, 2021. Accessed from: https://manualzz.com/doc/6098868/utilizando-o-tbweb.—centro-de-vigil%C3%A2ncia-epidemiol%C3%B3gica)
- Manual de intervenções ambientais para o controle da tuberculose em prisões.1st ed. Departamento Penitenciário Nacional, Brazil Rio de Janeiro2012 (Accessed May 15, 2021. Accessed from:)http://bvsms.saude.gov.br/bvs/publicacoes/manual_intervencoes_ambientais_controle_tuberculose_prisoes.pdf
- Survival Analysis Reference Manual.Stata Press, Texas2021
Colosimo EA, Giolo SR. Análise de sobrevivência aplicada. 1st ed. Brazil [São Paulo]: Edgar Blücher, 2006. Portuguese.
- Survival analysis.3rd ed. Springer, New York2012
- Causal diagrams for epidemiologic research.Epidemiol Camb Mass. 1999; 10: 37-48
- Are directed acyclic graphs (dags) an important tool to perform observational studies? reflections from a case in burned patients.Ann Burns Fire Disasters. 2018; 31: 73-74
- Robust causal inference using directed acyclic graphs: the R package ‘dagitty’.Int J Epidemiol. 2016; 45: 1887-1894https://doi.org/10.1093/ije/dyw341
- Drawing and Analyzing Causal DAGs with DAGitty. 2015; (Accessed September 26, 2021. Accessed from:)
- Modern Epidemiology.3rd ed. Brown and Company, Boston [MA]2008
- Household crowding as a potential mediator of socioeconomic determinants of tuberculosis incidence in Brazil.Plos One. 2017; 12e017611https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0176