- •A total of 47 (19.1%) S. aureus strains were isolated from 245 hospital environmental samples.
- •Methicillin resistance was found in more than 85% of the isolates.
- •The isolates with qac genes (qacA, qacE, and qac∆E1) had higher MIC values to disinfectants tested.
- •This is the first study to report the presence of qacE gene in S. aureus.
- •The study found substantially higher MIC90 values to chlorhexidine (median = 128 µg/ml).
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Current and emergent strategies for disinfection of hospital environments.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 68: 2718-2732
- A review on biocide reduced susceptibility due to plasmid-borne antiseptic-resistant genes—special notes on pharmaceutical environmental isolates.J Appl Microbiol. 2019; 126: 1011-1022
- How long do nosocomial pathogens persist on inanimate surfaces? A systematic review.BMC Infect Dis. 2006; 6: 130
- How do we assess hospital cleaning? A proposal for microbiological standards for surface hygiene in hospitals.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 10-15https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhin.2003.09.017
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).StatPearls Publishing, Treasure Island (FL), United States2018
- Modern technologies for improving cleaning and disinfection of environmental surfaces in hospitals.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2016; 5: 1-10
- Development of a protocol for predicting bacterial resistance to microbicides.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2015; 81: 2652-2659
- Determining the resistance of carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumonia to common disinfectants and elucidating the underlying resistance mechanisms.Pathog Glob health. 2015; 109: 184-192
- Prevalence of Staphylococcus aureus and methicillin-resistant S. aureus on environmental surfaces in Ohio nursing homes.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 1415-1419
- Nosocomial infections: Epidemiology, prevention, control and surveillance.Asian Pac J Trop Biomed. 2017; 7: 478-482
- Distribution, genetic diversity and antimicrobial resistance of clinically important bacteria from the environment of a tertiary hospital in Malaysia.J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2018; 14: 132-140
- Options for Evaluating Environmental Cleaning. National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (U.S.). Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2010
- Surface sampling.Manual environ microbiol. 2016; 15: 2-6
- District Laboratory Practice in Tropical Countries.part 2. Cambridge university press, 2005
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. M100. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA2021 31st ed.
- Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria That Grow Aerobically.11th ed. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA2018
- Systematic analysis of efflux pump-mediated antiseptic resistance in Staphylococcus aureus suggests a need for greater antiseptic stewardship.MSphere. 2020; 5 (-19): e00959
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards (NCCLS). M26-A: Methods for determining bactericidal activity of antimicrobial agents.approved guideline. 1999; 19: 8-19
- Heat treatment of bacteria: a simple method of DNA extraction for molecular techniques.Kuwait Med J. 2009; 41: 117-122
- Genotypic detection of disinfectant resistant genes among bacterial isolate of surgical site infections.Ann Romanian Soc Cell Biol. 2021; : 371-380
- Biofilm Formation by Environmental Microbes Isolated from Hospitals in Karachi, Pakistan.ASRJETS. 2016; 15: 240-251
- Investigation of Staphylococcus aureus, prevailing in the environment of Khyber Teaching Hospital, Peshawar, Pakistan.Pak J Pharm Sci. 2018; 31: 429-437
- Study of the genetic traits associated with antibiotic resistance in Staphylococcus aureus isolated from skin wards of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.Asian Pac J Trop Dis. 2015; 5: 393-398
- Prevalence and multidrug resistance profiles of several bacterial pathogens isolated from hospital inanimate surfaces in Faisalabad, Pakistan.NRMJ. 2019; 3: 526-534
- Natural transformation allows transfer of SCCmec-mediated methicillin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus biofilms.Nat commun. 2022; 13: 1-4
- Prevalence and antibiotic resistance pattern of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus from an orthopaedic hospital in Nigeria.Biomed Res Int. 2013; 2013
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in orthopaedic surgery.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2008; 90: 1401-1406
- Ventilation grilles as a potential source of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus causing an outbreak in an orthopaedic ward at a district general hospital.J Hosp Infect. 1998; 39: 127-133
Takahashi S. MRSA in urology. In: Bjerklund Johansen TE, Wagenlehner FME, Matsumoto T, Cho YH, Krieger JN, Shoskes D, Naber KG, editors. Urogenital Infections and Inflammations. Berlin: German Medical Science GMS Publishing House; 2018.
- Joint working party of the british society of antimicrobial chemotherapy. guidelines for the control and prevention of meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) in healthcare facilities.J Hosp Infect. 2006; 63: S1-44
- Effectiveness of structured training programme on infection control measures among housekeeping workers in selected intensive care units at tertiary hospital.JoNSP. 2020; 10: 51-56
- Biocides susceptibility pattern and phenotypic detection of Efflux pump in Staphylococcus aureus isolates from two tertiary hospitals of Pakistan.Afr J Microbiol Res. 2013; 7: 3171-3178
- Reduced susceptibility to chlorhexidine in staphylococci: is it increasing and does it matter?.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 2547-2559
- Acquired resistance to chlorhexidine–is it time to establish an ‘antiseptic stewardship’initiative?.J Hosp Infect. 2016; 94: 213-227
- Chlorhexidine and octenidine use, carriage of qac genes, and reduced antiseptic susceptibility in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from a health care network.Clin. Microbiol. Infect. 2019; 25: 1154-11e1
- Benzalkonium chloride.Antiseptic Stewardship. Biocide Resistance and Clinical Implications. 1. Springer Nature, Switzerland AG2018: 259-370
- Molecular study of resistance of Staphylococcus aureus to antiseptic quaternary ammonium compounds.J. Glob. Antimicrob. Resist. 2019; 17: 94-97
- Distribution of the antiseptic-resistance gene qacE delta 1 in gram-positive bacteria.FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998; 165: 295-299
- Frequency of antiseptic resistance genes in clinical staphylococci and enterococci isolates in Turkey.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2017; 6: 88
- High prevalence of biocide resistance determinants in Staphylococcus aureus isolates from three African countries.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016; 60: 678-681
- Characterization of heterogeneous MRSA and MSSA with reduced susceptibility to chlorhexidine in Kuwaiti hospitals.Front Microbiol. 2017; 8: 1359
- Susceptibility to Chlorhexidine and Mupirocin Among Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Clinical Isolates from A Teaching Hospital. 63. Revista do Instituto de Medicina Tropical de São Paulo, 2021: e27
- Common pitfalls in statistical analysis: Clinical vs statistical significance.Perspect Clin Res. 2015; 6: 169
- Factors affecting the bactericidal action of disinfectants. Implications for selection of resistant strains.Drugs Exp Clin Res. 1986; 12: 899-903
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of interest: None to report.