- •The J-SIPHE system enabled multicenter analysis of antibiotic use and resistance.
- •Carbapenem use correlated with carbapenem-resistant P. aeruginosa occurrence.
- •Quinolone use correlated with fluoroquinolone-resistant E. coli occurrence.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- An institutional review of antimicrobial stewardship interventions.J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2016; 6: 75-77
- The relationship between antimicrobial resistance and patient outcomes: mortality, length of hospital stay, and health care costs.Clin Infect Dis. 2006; 42: S82-S89
- Hospital and societal costs of antimicrobial-resistant infections in a Chicago teaching hospital: implications for antibiotic stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2009; 49: 1175-1184
- Antimicrobial resistance surveillance and prediction of Gram-negative bacteria based on antimicrobial consumption in a hospital setting: a 15-year retrospective study.Medicine. 2019; 98: e17157
- Influence of antimicrobial consumption on gram-negative bacteria in inpatients receiving antimicrobial resistance therapy from 2008–2013 at a tertiary hospital in Shanghai, China.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 358-364
- Temporal association between carbapenems usage and antimicrobial resistance in gram-negative bacteria at a tertiary hospital in Nanjing, China.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2020; 98115083
- Relationships between antimicrobial use and antimicrobial resistance in Gram-negative bacteria causing nosocomial infections from 1991–2003 at a university hospital in Taiwan.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2005; 26: 463-472
- Correlation between antibiotic consumption and resistance of Gram-negative bacteria causing healthcare-associated infections at a university hospital in Taiwan from 2000 to 2009.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66: 1374-1382
- Antimicrobial consumption and resistance in five gram-negative bacterial species in a hospital from 2003 to 2011.J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2015; 48: 647-654
- Correlation between antimicrobial consumption and the prevalence of carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli and carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae at a university hospital in Thailand.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2019; 44: 292-299
- Correlation between levofloxacin consumption and the incidence of nosocomial infections due to fluoroquinolone-resistant Escherichia coli.J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2016; 49: 424-429
- Surveillance and correlation of antimicrobial usage and resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a hospital population-based study.PLOS ONE. 2013; 8: e78604
National Center for Global Health and Medicine, AMR Clinical Reference Center. Tokyo, Japan Surveillance for Infection Prevention and Healthcare Epidemiology (J-SIPHE) Annual Report 2019. NCGM, AMRCRC. Accessed October 31, 2021. https://j-siphe.ncgm.go.jp/files/JSIPHE_AnnualReport_2019en.pdf.
World Health Organization (WHO). Global Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance. Geneva: WHO. Accessed October 31, 2021. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/193736/9789241509763_eng.pdf.
The Government of Japan. National Action Plan on Antimicrobial Resistance (AMR). The Government of Tokyo, Japan; 2016–2020. Accessed October 31, 2021. https://www.mhlw.go.jp/file/06-Seisakujouhou-10900000-Kenkoukyoku/0000138942.pdf.
WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology. Guidelines for ATC Classification and DDD Assignments. Oslo: WHO Collaborating Centre for Drug Statistics Methodology; 2020. Accessed October 31, 2021. https://www.whocc.no/atc_ddd_index/.
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing: Twenty-First Informational Supplement M100-S21.CLSI, Wayne, PA2011
- ATB-RAISIN network steering committee. Higher third-generation cephalosporin prescription proportion is associated with lower probability of reducing carbapenem use: a nationwide retrospective study.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 11
- Association between antibiotic consumption and the rate of carbapenem-resistant Gram-negative bacteria from China based on 153 tertiary hospitals data in 2014.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 137
- Correlation between antimicrobial consumption and antimicrobial resistance of Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a hospital setting: a 10-year study.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2016; 41: 532-537
- Consumption of imipenem correlates with beta-lactam resistance in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2002; 46: 2920-2925
- Correlation between antibiotic consumption and resistance of bloodstream bacteria in a University Hospital in North Eastern Italy, 2008–2014.Infection. 2017; 45: 459-467
- Association between the rate of fluoroquinolones-resistant gram-negative bacteria and antibiotic consumption from China based on 145 tertiary hospitals data in 2014.BMC Infect Dis. 2020; 20: 269
- Estudio de Prevalencia de las Infecciones Nosocomiales en España (EPINE) Working Group. Trends in yearly prevalence of third-generation cephalosporin and fluoroquinolone resistant Enterobacteriaceae infections and antimicrobial use in Spanish hospitals, Spain, 1999 to 2010.Euro Surveill. 2011; 16: 19983
- Antibiotic consumption and its influence on the resistance in Enterobacteriaceae.BMC Res Notes. 2014; 7: 454
- Dramatic increase of third-generation cephalosporin-resistant E. coli in German intensive care units: secular trends in antibiotic drug use and bacterial resistance, 2001 to 2008.Crit Care. 2010; 14: R113
- Implementing an antibiotic stewardship program: guidelines by the infectious diseases society of America and the society for healthcare epidemiology of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: e51-e77
- Antimicrobial stewardship programs: appropriate measures and metrics to study their impact.Curr Treat Options Infect Dis. 2014; 6: 101-112
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Conflicts of interest: All authors have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.