- •We assessed AMS programs of acute-care trusts of the region of Piedmont, Italy.
- •All trusts implemented AMS, with varying levels of organization and delivery.
- •Higher scores were found for process vs structure indicators.
- •Outcome indicator results suggest improvements in quality of care.
- •A significant correlation between AMS structure and improved outcomes was found.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Global burden of bacterial antimicrobial resistance in 2019: a systematic analysis.Lancet. 2022; 399: 629-655
- Tackling Drug-Resistant Infections Globally: Final Report and Recommendations. 1. Resistance, London, United Kingdom2016: 84 (Ro A, ed)
- Risk of hepatotoxicity associated with fluoroquinolones: a national case-control safety study.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2014; 71: 37-43
- Time interval of increased risk for Clostridium difficile infection after exposure to antibiotics.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012; 67: 742-748
- Antimicrobial stewardship programs in inpatient hospital settings: a systematic review.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 1209-1228
- What is antimicrobial stewardship?.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2017; 23: 793-798
- Point prevalence data on antimicrobial usage in Italian acute-care hospitals: Evaluation and comparison of results from two national surveys (2011-2016).Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 579-584
- Antimicrobial use in European acute care hospitals: results from the second point prevalence survey (PPS) of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial use, 2016 to 2017.Euro Surveill. 2018; 23 (pii:1800393): 1800393https://doi.org/10.2807/1560-7917.ES.23.46.1800393
- Piano Nazionale di contrasto dell'antimicrobico-resistenza (PNCAR) 2017-2020.Ministero della Salute, Roma2017
- ECDC Country Visit to Italy to Discuss Antimicrobial Resistance Issues.ECDC, Stockholm2017
Rechel B, Jakubowski E, McKee M, Nolte E, editors. Organization and Financing of Public Health Services in Europe. Copenhagen (Denmark): European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies; 2018.
- Antimicrobial stewardship programmes in Emilia-Romagna, Italy.J Glob Antimicrob Resist. 2013; 1: 175-179
- Comparison of antimicrobial stewardship programmes in acute-care hospitals in four European countries: a cross-sectional survey.Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2019; 54: 338-345
- Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America guidelines for developing an institutional program to enhance antimicrobial stewardship.Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44: 159-177
- Development and validation of potential structure indicators for evaluating antimicrobial stewardship programmes in European hospitals.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2013; 32: 1161-1170
- Quality indicators for hospital antimicrobial stewardship programmes: a systematic review.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2021; 76: 1406-1419
- Antimicrobial stewardship: an evidence-based, antimicrobial self-assessment toolkit (ASAT) for acute hospitals.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2010; 65: 2669-2673
- An evaluation of the association between an antimicrobial stewardship score and antimicrobial usage.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 70: 1588-1591
- Antimicrobial stewardship: an evaluation of structure and process and their association with antimicrobial prescribing in NHS hospitals in England.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2019; 74: 1143-1152
- 2021 WHO Access, Watch, Reserve, Classification of Antibiotics for Evaluation and Monitoring of Use.WHO, GenevaSwitzerland2021
- AR-ISS: sorveglianza nazionale dell'Antibiotico-Resistenza. Dati 2019.Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Roma2020
European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control. Antimicrobial resistance in the EU/EEA (EARS-Net) - Annual Epidemiological Report 2019. Stockholm: ECDC; 2020.
- Considerations about antimicrobial stewardship in settings with epidemic Extended-Spectrum β-Lactamase-Producing or Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae.Infect Dis Ther. 2015; 4: 65-83
- Antimicrobial stewardship programs in adult intensive care units in Latin America: implementation, assessments, and impact on outcomes.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; 43: 1-10
- A review of quality measures for assessing the impact of antimicrobial stewardship programs in hospitals.Antibiotics. 2016; 5: 5
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of interest: None.