- •Hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) was common in inpatients with mental disorders.
- •HAP incidence was higher in patients on closed wards than in those on open wards.
- •HAP was prevalent in patients with organic mental disorders or schizophrenia.
- •HAP prolonged the hospitalization of inpatients with mental disorders.
- •Patients with mental disorders have unique risk factors for HAP.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Global Burden of Disease and the Impact of Mental and Addictive Disorders.Curr Psychiatry Rep. 2019; 21: 10
- The burden of mental, neurological, and substance use disorders in China and India: a systematic analysis of community representative epidemiological studies.Lancet. 2016; 388: 376-389
- China Health Statistical Yearbook 2015.Peking Union Medical College Press, Beijing2016
- Direct medical costs of hospitalisations for mental disorders in Shanghai, China: a time series study.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e015652
- Management of Adults With Hospital-acquired and Ventilator-associated Pneumonia: 2016 Clinical Practice Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the American Thoracic Society.Clin Infect Dis. 2016 Sep 1; 63: e61-e111
- Chinese guidelines for the diagnosis and treatment of hospital-acquired pneumonia and ventilator-associated pneumonia in adults.J Thorac Dis. 2019; 11: 2581-2616
- The cost of hospital-acquired complications for older people with and without dementia; a retrospective cohort study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2015; 15: 91
- Pneumonia-associated death in patients with dementia: A systematic review and meta-analysis.PLOS One. 2019; 14e0213825
- Is Antipsychotic Treatment Associated With Risk of Pneumonia in People With Serious Mental Illness?: The Roles of Severity of Psychiatric Symptoms and Global Functioning.J Clin Psychopharmacol. 2019; 39: 434-440
- Influencing Factors of Hospital-Acquired Pneumonia Infection in the Middle-Aged and Elderly Patients With Schizophrenia.Front Psychiatry. 2021; 12746791
- Non-ventilator health care-associated pneumonia (NV-HAP): NV-HAP Risk Factors.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: A10-A13
- Physical comorbidity and its relevance on mortality in schizophrenia: a naturalistic 12-year follow-up in general hospital admissions.Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2014; 264: 3-28
- Physical illness in patients with severe mental disorders. II. Barriers to care, monitoring and treatment guidelines, plus recommendations at the system and individual level.World Psychiatry. 2011; 10: 138-151
- Adapting a clinical comorbidity index for use with ICD-9-CM administrative data: differing perspectives.J Clin Epidemiol. 1993; 46 (1075-9; discussion 1081-90)
- Hospital Acquired Pneumonia Prevention Initiative-2: Incidence of nonventilator hospital-acquired pneumonia in the United States.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 2-7
- Hypoalbuminemia as Surrogate and Culprit of Infections.Int J Mol Sci. 2021; 22: 4496
- High prevalence of underweight and undernutrition in Japanese inpatients with schizophrenia: a nationwide survey.BMJ Open. 2015; 5e008720
- Burden of pneumococcal pneumonia requiring ICU admission in France: 1-year prognosis, resources use, and costs.Crit Care. 2021; 25: 24
- Increased risk of chronic liver disease in patients with schizophrenia: a population-based cohort study.Psychosomatics. 2014; 55: 163-171
- Antipsychotic reexposure and recurrent pneumonia in schizophrenia: a nested case-control study.J Clin Psychiatry. 2016; 77: 60-66
- Pneumonia may be more frequent and have more fatal outcomes with clozapine than with other second-generation antipsychotics.World Psychiatry. 2020; 19: 120-121
- Anticholinergic Medication Use and Risk of Pneumonia in Elderly Adults: A Nested Case-Control Study.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2016; 64: 394-400
- Anticholinergic medications in community-dwelling older veterans: prevalence of anticholinergic symptoms, symptom burden, and adverse drug events.Am J Geriatr Pharmacother. 2006; 4: 42-51
- Antiepileptic Drug Use Is Associated with an Increased Risk of Pneumonia Among Community-Dwelling Persons with Alzheimer's Disease-Matched Cohort Study.J Alzheimers Dis. 2019; 68: 127-136
- A systematic review and meta-analysis examining pneumonia-associated mortality in dementia.Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2015; 39: 52-67