- •Sporicidal disinfectants are necessary to control Clostridioides difficiel and emerging pathogens such as Candida auris.
- •Newer sporicidal disinfectants with favorable safety profiles are needed in healthcare Electrolized water, sodium dichloroisocyanurate and peracetic acid with hydrogen peroxide are evaluated in our study.
- •In our study, sodium dichloroisocyanurate resulted in the lowest bacterial colony counts on patient room surfaces.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The role of environmental cleaning in the control of hospital-acquired infection.J Hosp Infect. 2009; 73: 378-385
- Cleaning hospital room surfaces to prevent health care-associated infections: a technical brief.Ann Intern Med. 2015; 163: 598
- Risk of acquiring antibiotic-resistant bacteria from prior room occupants.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 1945
- Candida auris in healthcare facilities, New York, USA, 2013–2017.Emerg Infect Dis. 2018; 24: 1816-1824
Guh A, Carling P, CDC Environmental Workgroup. Options for evaluating environmental cleaning; 2010. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/pdfs/toolkits/Environ-Cleaning-Eval-Toolkit12-2-2010.pdf Accessed April 19, 2021.
- Improving cleaning of the environment surrounding patients in 36 acute care hospitals.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 1035-1041
- Effectiveness of ATP bioluminescence to assess hospital cleaning: a review.J Prev Med Hyg. 2017; 58: E177-E183
- Microbial monitoring of the hospital environment: why and how?.J Hosp Infect. 2012; 82: 143-151
- Comparison of two sampling methods for the detection of Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria in the environment: moistened swabs versus Rodac plates.Int J Hyg Environ Health. 2001; 203: 245-248
- How do we assess hospital cleaning? A proposal for microbiological standards for surface hygiene in hospitals.J Hosp Infect. 2004; 56: 10-15
- Use of audit tools to evaluate the efficacy of cleaning systems in hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 181-187
- Are hygiene standards useful in assessing infection risk?.Am J Infect Control. 2008; 36: 381-384
- How clean is clean—is a new microbiology standard required?.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 1002-1003
- Environmental surface cleanliness and the potential for contamination during handwashing.Am J Infect Control. 2003; 31: 93-96
Safety Data Sheet - PURTABS (Dilution 0.5 - 5550 ppm), Version 3. 2021. Available at:https://9402086.fs1.hubspotusercontent-na1.net/hubfs/9402086/EvaClean%20Website/Documents/PURTABS%20Use-Dilution%20SDS.pdf Accessed June 8, 2022.
Safety Data Sheet - Oxcyide Daily Disinfectant Cleaner. 2021. Available at: https://safetydata.ecolab.com/svc/GetPdf/OXYCIDE_DAILY_DISINFECTANT_CLEANER_English?sid=979252-15&cntry=US&langid=en-US&langtype=RFC1766LangCode&locale=en&pdfname=OXYCIDE_DAILY_DISINFECTANT_CLEANER_English.pdf Accessed June 8, 2022.
- Efficacy of decontaminants and disinfectants against Clostridium difficile.J Med Microbiol. 2011; 60: 1218-1224
Scott D, Hansraj F. Literature review and practice recommendations: existing and emerging technologies used for decontamiation of the healthcare environment - electrolyzed water. National Health Services Scotland, Antimicrobial Resistance and Healthcare Associated Infections. Version 1.1. published December 2016.
- Sanitizer efficacy against murine norovirus, a surrogate for human norovirus, on stainless steel surfaces when using three application methods.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2013; 79: 1368-1377
- Effects of electrolyzed oxidizing water on inactivation of Bacillus subtilis and Bacillus cereus spores in suspension and on carriers: Bacillus spores inactivation by EO water….J Food Sci. 2016; 81: M144-M149
- Evaluation of a sporicidal peracetic acid/hydrogen peroxide–based daily disinfectant cleaner.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 1414-1416
BD Diagnostics. BD trypticase soy agar II with 5% sheep blood. Instructions for use. 2013. Available at: https://www.bd.com/resource.aspx?IDX=8990. Accessed June 9, 2022.
FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition. Control of listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat foods: guidance for industry. 2017.
Minnesota Hospital Association. Environmental services cleaning guidebook. Available at: https://www.mnhospitals.org/Portals/0/Documents/ptsafety/CDICleaning/4.%20Environmental%20Services%20Cleaning%20Guidebook.pdf Accessed April 15, 2021.
CDC. 4. Environmental cleaning procedures. 2020. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/hai/prevent/resource-limited/cleaning-procedures.html. Accessed April 15, 2021.
- Finding a benchmark for monitoring hospital cleanliness.J Hosp Infect. 2011; 77: 25-30
- Prospective cluster controlled crossover trial to compare the impact of an improved hydrogen peroxide disinfectant and a quaternary ammonium-based disinfectant on surface contamination and health care outcomes.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1006-1010
- How clean is clean? Proposed methods for hospital cleaning assessment.J Hosp Infect. 2008; 70: 328-334
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Infection prevention and control for Candida auris. 2021. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/candida-auris/c-auris-infection-control.html#disinfection Accessed June 8, 2022.
- Interaction of healthcare worker hands and portable medical equipment: a sequence analysis to show potential transmission opportunities.BMC Infect Dis. 2017; 17: 800
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Previous presentation: Preliminary data from this study was accepted for presentation at the SHEA 6th International Conference on Healthcare Associated Infections in March 2020. The conference was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic, and the accepted conference abstract was published in a special edition of ICHE (https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2020.1054)
Conflicts of interest: All authors report no conflicts of interest relevant to this article.