- •Stenotrophomonas maltophilia is a Gram-negative, non-fermentative aerobic bacterium widely found in humid and aqueous environments.
- •In the current report, an unexpected source was found to be responsible for S. maltophilia infection, i.e. a commercial needless blood gas injector.
- •Detection of S. maltophilia in ECMO heater devices raises an important question concerning the safety of ECMO devices.
- •Obtaining surveillance cultures of ECMO water reservoirs should be placed in the routine clinical practice.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia: an emerging global opportunistic pathogen.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2012; 25: 2-41https://doi.org/10.1128/CMR.00019-11
- Molecular epidemiology and risk factors of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections in a Chinese teaching hospital.BMC Microbiol. 2020; 20: 294https://doi.org/10.1186/s12866-020-01985-3
- Stenotrophomonas maltophilia in Malaysia: molecular epidemiology and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance.Int J Infect Dis. 2012; 16: e603-e607https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijid.2012.04.004
- Update on infections caused by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia with particular attention to resistance mechanisms and therapeutic options.Front Microbiol. 2015; 6: 893https://doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2015.00893
- Species distribution, antifungal susceptibility and clonal relatedness of Candida isolates from patients in neonatal and pediatric intensive care units at a medical center in Turkey.New Microbiol. 2008; 31: 401-418
- The optimization of a rapid pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocol for the typing of Acinetobacter baumannii, Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp.Jpn J Infect Dis. 2009; 62: 372-377
- Ralstonia pickettii bacteremia associated with pediatric extracorporeal membrane oxygenation therapy in a Canadian hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 1016-1018https://doi.org/10.1086/519205
- Cluster of Burkholderia cepacia complex infections associated with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation water heater devices.Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Mar 10; ([ahead of print]): ciac200https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciac200
- Cupriavidus pauculus bacteremia in a child on extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.ASAIO J. 2014; 60: 740-741https://doi.org/10.1097/MAT.0000000000000120
- Nosocomial transmission of Cupriavidus pauculus during extracorporeal membrane oxygenation.ASAIO J. 2010; 56: 486-487https://doi.org/10.1097/MAT.0b013e3181f0c80d
- Potential deleterious interactions between certain chemical compounds and a thermoplastic polyurethane heat exchanger membrane oxygenator.J Extra Corpor Technol. 2018; 50: 244-247