- •Prescribing of Watch-group antibiotics was evidently high and requires close monitoring.
- •Second-generation cephalosporins and macrolides were the frequently prescribed Watch-group antibiotics.
- •Antibiotic prescribing practice was inappropriate and adherence to clinical guidelines was poor.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- How to educate prescribers in antimicrobial stewardship practices.Virulence. 2013; 4: 192-202
- Assessment of WHO antibiotic consumption and access targets in 76 countries, 2000–15: an analysis of pharmaceutical sales data.The Lancet Infectious Diseases. 2021; 21: 107-115
- Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States.2019 ([Available from:)
- WHO releases the 2019 AWaRe Classification Antibiotics.2019 ([Available from:)
- Effect of antibiotic prescribing in primary care on antimicrobial resistance in individual patients: systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ. 2010; 340: c2096
- Use and Prescription of Antibiotics in Primary Health Care Settings in China.JAMA Internal Medicine. 2014; 174: 1914-1920
- Audit of Prescribing Patterns in Saudi Primary Health Care: What Lessons Can be Learned?.Annals of Saudi Medicine. 1999; 19: 317-321
- Antibiotic resistance: a hospital-based multicenter study in Tabuk city, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.Infection and drug resistance. 2019; 12: 1815-1825
- Prevalence of Inappropriate Antibiotic Prescribing in Primary Care Clinics within a Veterans Affairs Health Care System.Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy. 2018; 62
- Assessment of Antibiotic Prescribing Patterns at Outpatient Pharmacy Using World Health Organization Prescribing Indicators.J Prim Care Community Health. 2019; 102150132719886942
- MOH Warns Against Selling Antibiotics without Prescription.April 2018 ([Available from:)
- Antimicrobial Drug Consumption in Ambulatory Care Settings, Tabuk Region, Saudi Arabia.Pharmacology, Toxicology and Biomedical Reports. 2019;
- Urological infections. 2021; ([Available from:)
- IDSA Clinical Practice Guideline for Acute Bacterial Rhinosinusitis in Children and Adults.Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2012; 54: e72-e112
- Appropriate Antibiotic Use for Acute Respiratory Tract Infection in Adults: Advice for High-Value Care From the American College of Physicians and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Annals of internal medicine. 2016; 164: 425-434
- Diagnosis and Management of Complicated Intra-abdominal Infection in Adults and Children: Guidelines by the Surgical Infection Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2010; 50: 133-164
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Adults with Community-acquired Pneumonia. An Official Clinical Practice Guideline of the American Thoracic Society and Infectious Diseases Society of America.American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine. 2019; 200: e45-e67
- Practice Guidelines for the Diagnosis and Management of Skin and Soft Tissue Infections: 2014 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2014; 59: e10-e52
- How to calculate sample size for different study designs in medical research?.Indian J Psychol Med. 2013; 35: 121-126
WHO. ATC Index with DDDs [Available from: https://www.whocc.no/atc_ddd_index_and_guidelines/atc_ddd_index/.
- Systematic Review: Study of the Prescribing Pattern of Antibiotics in Outpatients and Emergency Departments in the Gulf Region.Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2020; 11
- Community-level consumption of antibiotics according to the AWaRe (Access, Watch, Reserve) classification in rural Vietnam.JAC Antimicrob Resist. 2020; 2: dlaa048-dladlaa
- Safety Concerns Surrounding Quinolone Use in Children.Journal of clinical pharmacology. 2016; 56: 1060-1075
- Ciprofloxacin resistance pattern among bacteria isolated from patients with community-acquired urinary tract infection.Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2016; 58 (-): 53
- Epidemiology and antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of Gram-negative bacteria causing urinary tract infections in the Asia-Pacific region: 2009-2010 results from the Study for Monitoring Antimicrobial Resistance Trends (SMART).International journal of antimicrobial agents. 2012; 40: S37-S43
- Antimicrobial resistance in Saudi Arabia.An urgent call for an immediate action. 2016; 37: 935-940
- Surveillance of antibiotic resistance among uropathogens in Aljouf region northern Saudi Arabia.Iran J Microbiol. 2019; 11: 468-477
- Antibiotic prescribing quality for children in primary care: an observational study. The British journal of general practice: the journal of the.Royal College of General Practitioners. 2018; 68 (-e6): e90
- A systematic review of parent and clinician views and perceptions that influence prescribing decisions in relation to acute childhood infections in primary care.Scandinavian journal of primary health care. 2015; 33: 11-20
- Microbiological point of care testing before antibiotic prescribing in primary care: considerable variations between practices.BMC family practice. 2017; 18: 9
- Analysis of the Prescription of Antibiotics During the Implementation of COVID-19 Personal Protection Measures in a Regional Health System.ClinicoEconomics and outcomes research: CEOR. 2021; 13: 927-936
- Antibiotic Prescriptions Associated With COVID-19 Outpatient Visits Among Medicare Beneficiaries, April 2020 to April 2021.Jama. 2022; 327: 2018-2019
- COVID-19: Impact on prescribing and antimicrobial resistance.Revista espanola de quimioterapia: publicacion oficial de la Sociedad Espanola de Quimioterapia. 2021; 34 (Suppl1): 63-68
- Ten public health strategies to control the Covid-19 pandemic: the Saudi Experience.IJID Regions (Online). 2021; 1: 12-19