- •Hand hygiene technique was assessed using a thermal camera attached to a smartphone.
- •Thermal images showed if an alcohol hand sanitizer was applied to fingers and thumb.
- •Thermal camera readings revealed temperature changes due to sanitizer application.
- •Thermal imaging shows promise as a method of assessing hand hygiene technique.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Healthcare infection control practices advisory C, the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force. guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings.Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002; 51: 1-45
- WHO Guidelines for Hand Hygiene in Health Care.World Health Organization, Geneva2009 (Available at:)Accessed May 4, 2022)
- Commentary: hand hygiene: it's all about when and how.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 957-959
- Alcohol-based handrub: evaluation of technique and microbiological efficacy with international infection control professionals.Infect Contr Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 207-209
- The relative influences of product volume, delivery format and alcohol concentration on dry-time and efficacy of alcohol-based hand rubs.BMC.Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 511
- How long is enough? Identification of product dry-time as a primary driver of alcohol-based hand rub efficacy.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 65
- Hand hygiene with alcohol-based hand rub: how long is long enough?.Infect Contr Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 547-552
- Introducing alcohol-based hand rub for hand hygiene: the critical need for training.Infect Contr Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 50-54
- Variability in the duration and thoroughness of hand hygiene.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: S221-S223
- Infrared camera assessment of skin surface temperature–effect of emissivity.Phys Med. 2013; 29: 583-591
- Influence of topically applied menthol cooling gel on soft tissue thermodynamics and arterial and cutaneous blood flow at rest.Int J Sports Phys Ther. 2018; 13: 483-492
- Hand surface area estimation formula using 3D anthropometry.J Occup Environ Hyg. 2010; 7: 633-639
- Should alcohol-based handrub use be customized to healthcare workers' hand size?.Infect Contr Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 219-221
- Hand coverage by alcohol-based handrub varies: volume and hand size matter.Am J Infect Contr. 2016; 44: 1689-1691
- Evaluating hand disinfection with alcohol-based hand sanitizers using thermal imaging. RWTH Publications, 2016: 174-181
- Distribution of evaporation rate on human body surface.Ann Physiol Anthropol. 1992; 11: 593-609
- Responses of the hands and feet to cold exposure.Temperature (Austin). 2015; 2: 105-120
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of interest: JMB is a consultant to, has presented at conferences supported by, and has received travel support from GOJO Industries, and is a consultant to Diversey.