- •We assessed appropriate antibiotics for common infections in pediatric urgent cares.
- •We assessed rates of guideline-concordance for antibiotic agent, duration, and dosing.
- •Outpatient ASP had a significant impact on antibiotic prescribing.
- •We saw the biggest improvement in appropriate antibiotic dosing and duration.
- •ASPs positively influence the prescribing behaviors of outpatient clinicians.
Abbreviations:AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics), AOM (acute otitis media), ASP (antimicrobial stewardship program), CAP (community-acquired pneumonia), CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), GAS (group A streptococcal), ICD-10 (International Classification of Diseases 10th iteration), IDSA (Infectious Diseases Society of America), PUC (pediatric urgent care), SSTI (skin and soft tissue infection), UTI (urinary tract infection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Antibiotic resistance threats in the United States 2019.U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA2019
- Antibacterials dispensed in the community comprise 85%-95% of total human antibacterial consumption.J Clin Pharm Ther. 2018; 43: 59-64
- Changes in US Outpatient Antibiotic Prescriptions From 2011-2016.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 70: 370-377
- Implementing an Antibiotic Stewardship Program: Guidelines by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2016; 62: e51-e77
- Value of hospital antimicrobial stewardship programs [ASPs]: a systematic review.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2019; 8: 35
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases S. Policy Statement: Antibiotic Stewardship in Pediatrics.J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2021;
Sanchez GV, Fleming-Dutra KE, Roberts RM, Hicks LA. Core elements of outpatient antibiotic stewardship. 2016.
- Unnecessary antibiotic prescribing in US ambulatory care settings, 2010-2015.Clin Infect Dis. 2020;
- Association of Broad- vs Narrow-Spectrum Antibiotics With Treatment Failure, Adverse Events, and Quality of Life in Children With Acute Respiratory Tract Infections.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2325-2336
- Tenfold medication errors: 5 years' experience at a university-affiliated pediatric hospital.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 916-924
- Each Additional Day of Antibiotics Is Associated With Lower Gut Anaerobes in Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Patients.Clin Infect Dis. 2020; 70: 2553-2560
- Excess Antibiotic Treatment Duration and Adverse Events in Patients Hospitalized With Pneumonia: A Multihospital Cohort Study.Ann Intern Med. 2019; 171: 153-163
- Reducing Antibiotic Prescribing in Primary Care for Respiratory Illness.Pediatrics. 2020; : 146
- Effect of Behavioral Interventions on Inappropriate Antibiotic Prescribing Among Primary Care Practices: A Randomized Clinical Trial.JAMA. 2016; 315: 562-570
- Effectiveness of multifaceted educational programme to reduce antibiotic dispensing in primary care: practice based randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2012; 344: d8173
- Novel Outpatient Antibiotic Prescribing Report of Respiratory Infections in a Pediatric Health System's Emergency Departments and Urgent Care Clinics.Am J Infect Control. 2020;
Children's Mercy Kansas City. Provider resources for antimicrobial stewardship:https://www.childrensmercy.org/siteassets/media-documents-for-depts-section/documents-for-health-care-providers/evidence-based-practice/clinical-practice-guidelines–care-process-models/outpatient-antibiotic-handbook.pdf. 2021.
Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, Quality Improvement Organization Program, (U.S.) CfDCaP. MITIGATE antimicrobial stewardship toolkit : a guide for practical implementation in adult and pediatric emergency department and urgent care settings. 2018.
- The management of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: clinical practice guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: e25-e76
- The diagnosis and management of acute otitis media.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e964-e999
- Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis: 2012 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2012; 55: 1279-1282
- Practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of skin and soft tissue infections: 2014 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 59: e10-e52
- Subcommittee On Urinary Tract I. Reaffirmation of AAP Clinical Practice Guideline: The Diagnosis and Management of the Initial Urinary Tract Infection in Febrile Infants and Young Children 2-24 Months of Age.Pediatrics. 2016; : 138
- Urinary tract infection: clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of the initial UTI in febrile infants and children 2 to 24 months.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: 595-610
- System-Based Treatment Table.(Kimberlin DW, Barnett ED, Lynfield R, Sawyer MH, editors)Red Book 2021-2024 Rerport of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. 32 ed. American Academy of Pediatrics, Itasca, IL2021: 990-1003
- The Health Care Data Guide: Learning from Data for Improvement.1st ed. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, CA2011
- Trends and seasonal variation in outpatient antibiotic prescription rates in the United States, 2006 to 2010.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2014; 58: 2763-2766
- Association between statewide adoption of the CDC's Core Elements of Hospital Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs and rates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia and Clostridioides difficile infection in the United States.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 430-437
- The economic impact of antimicrobial stewardship programmes in hospitals: a systematic literature review.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 102: 369-376
- Impact of antibiotic stewardship programmes in Asia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2018; 73: 844-851
- Unnecessary Antibiotic Prescribing in US Ambulatory Care Settings, 2010-2015.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 133-137
- APPROVED: New Antimicrobial Stewardship Standard.Jt Comm Perspect. 2016; 36 (8): 3-4
- Interventions to improve antibiotic prescribing practices in ambulatory care.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2005; CD003539
- Comparison of Antibiotic Prescribing in Retail Clinics, Urgent Care Centers, Emergency Departments, and Traditional Ambulatory Care Settings in the United States.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 1267-1269
- A multifaceted approach to decrease inappropriate antibiotic use in a pediatric outpatient clinic.Ann Thorac Med. 2017; 12: 51-54
- Antibiotic prescribing for acute respiratory infections in New York City: A model for collaboration.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 1360-1366
- Short-Duration Electronic Health Record Option Buttons to Reduce Prolonged Length of Antibiotic Therapy in Outpatients.Pediatrics. 2021; : 147
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of Interest Disclosures (includes financial disclosures): The authors have indicated they have no potential conflicts of interest to disclose.
Funding Source: No external funding for this manuscript