- •Patients and health professionals are negatively impacted by Contact Precautions.
- •Contact Precautions conflict with all four principles of biomedical ethics.
- •Holistic cost-benefit assessment situates Contact Precautions as low-value practice.
- •Recommendations for ethically-improved management of MRO-colonised patients are made.
- •Interpretive description provides a useful framework for infection control research.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Australian Guidelines for the Prevention and Control of Infection in Health care.Canberra. 2019; 45
- Health care-associated infections due to multidrug-resistant organisms: a surveillance study on extra hospital stay and direct costs.Curr Pharm Biotechnol. 2019; 20: 643-652
- CDC guideline for isolation precautions in hospitals.Infect Control. 1983; 4: 247-325
- Impact of isolation on hospitalised patients who are infectious: systematic review with meta-analysis.BMJ open. 2020; 10e030371
- HAI controversies: contact precautions.in: Bearman G Munoz-Price S Morgan D Infection Prevention. Springer International Publishing, Cham, Switzerland2018: 1-8
- Evidence-based de-implementation for contradicted, unproven, and aspiring health care practices.Implement Sci. 2014; 9: 1-5
- Are contact precautions ethically justifiable in contemporary hospital care?.Nurs Ethics. 2019; 26 (Original manuscript June 15 2017): 611-624
- Principles of Biomedical Ethics.Oxford University Press, New York2013
- Bioethics curriculum in medical schools in Portuguese-speaking countries.BMC Med Educ. 2022; 22: 1-9
- How infectious diseases got left out – and what this omission might have meant for bioethics.Bioethics. 2005; 19: 307-322
- The precautionary principle and medical decision making.J Med Philos. 2004; 29: 281-299
- The ethics of infection control: philosophical frameworks.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 1077-1084
- Variability in contact precautions to control the nosocomial spread of multi-drug resistant organisms in the endemic setting: a multinational cross-sectional survey.Antimicrob Resist Infect Control. 2018; 7: 1-8
- Recognizing rapport': health professionals’ lived experience of caring for patients under transmission-based precautions in an Australian health care setting.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41: 971-975
- Does the removal of contact precautions for MRSA and VRE infected patients change health care-associated infection rate?: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49 (November 30 2020): 784-791
- When multidrug-resistant organism (MDRO)-positive ICU patient isolation and cohorting is not feasible, what comes next?.Cureus. 2021; 13 (2021/03/05): e13636
- Control of carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae outbreaks in acute settings: an evidence review.J Hosp Infect. 2017; 95 (2016/11/29): 3-45
- Compliance to empirical contact precautions for multidrug-resistant microorganisms.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 48: 840-842
- Long-term impact of universal contact precautions on rates of multidrug-resistant organisms in ICUs: a comparative effectiveness study.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 534-540
- Specific precautions: experiences of hospitalized patients.Rev Bras Enferm. 2019; 72 (2019/08/23): 874-879
- Fatal outcome of isolated patients who suffered an in-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2022; (2022/07/07)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resuscitation.2022.06.024
- The effect of hospital isolation precautions on patient outcomes and cost of care: a multi-site, retrospective, propensity score-matched cohort study.J Gen Intern Medicine. 2017; 32: 262-268
- Adverse effects of isolation: a prospective matched cohort study including 90 direct interviews of hospitalized patients in a French University Hospital.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2017; 36 (2016/09/11): 75-80
- Changes to physician and nurse time burdens when caring for patients under contact precautions.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45 (2017/03/18): 542-543
- Interpretive Description: Qualitative Research for Applied Practice.2nd ed. Routledge, New York2016
QSR International. NVivo 12 qualitative data analysis software. 2018. Accessed April 27, 2019. http://www.qsrinternational.com/.
- Developing and using a codebook for the analysis of interview data: an example from a professional development research project.Field Methods. 2011; 23: 136-155
NSW Ministry of Health. Physiotherapy horizons scanning and scenario generation - July 2017. 2017. Sydney, Australia.
- Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia - Registrant data. Reporting period 1 July 2018 - 30 September 2018.Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency, Melbourne, Australia2018
Occupational Therapy Board of Australia. Occupational Therapy Board of Australia registrant data - reporting period: 1 January 2017 –31 March 2017. 2017.
Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare. Understanding my health care rights - a summary booklet for consumers. In: Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health care, (ed.). Commonwealth of Australia, 2020.
- Protecting the environment from plastic PPE.BMJ. 2021; 2021 (n109. 19 January 2021)
- Analyzing the cost of hospital contact isolation practices: implications for nursing administrator practice, research, and policy.J Nurs Adm. 2022; 52 (2022/05/25): 352-358
- To do or not to do-balancing governance and professional autonomy to abandon low-value practices: a study protocol.Implement Sci. 2019; 14 (2019/07/10): 70
- Current views of health care design and construction: practical implications for safer, cleaner environments.Am J Infect Control. 2010; 38: S1-12
- An ethics core curriculum for Australasian medical Schools.The Medical Journal of Australia. 2001; 175: 205-210
- Sharing patient information between professionals: confidentiality and ethics.Med J Aust. 2003; 178: 277-279
- Barriers and facilitators to health care workers’ adherence with infection prevention and control (IPC) guidelines for respiratory infectious diseases: a rapid qualitative evidence synthesis.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2020; 2020
- Speaking up about hand hygiene failures: a vignette survey study among health care professionals.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 870-875
- The theory of planned behavior.Organ Behav Hum Decis Process. 1991; 50: 179-211
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
All authors have confirmed no conflicts of interest