- •We identified the risk factors for MDRO isolation among returned travelers.
- •ESBL E. coli (ESBLEC) was detected in about 90% of all MDRO screened patients.
- •The risk factors for detection were different between ESBLEC and non-ESBLEC MDRO.
Discussion and conclusions
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
Number of foreign visitors to Japan and number of Japanese leaving Japan. Japan Tourism Agency. Available to: https://www.mlit.go.jp/kankocho/siryou/toukei/in_out.html. Accessed on August 18, 2022.
- High rate of multidrug-resistant Gram-negative bacilli carriage and infection in hospitalized returning travelers: A cross-sectional cohort study.J Travel Med. 2015; 22: 292-299
- Emergence of a new antibiotic resistance mechanism in India, Pakistan, and the UK: A molecular, biological, and epidemiological study.Lancet Infect Dis. 2010; 10: 597-602
- High rate of multidrug-resistant organism colonization among patients hospitalized overseas highlights the need for preemptive infection control.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: e257-e259
Standard country or area codes for statistical use. United Nations. Available to: https://unstats.un.org/unsd/methodology/m49. Accessed on August 18,2022.
- Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: An international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 268-281
Request for notification of physicians under the Infectious Disease Control Law, Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. Available to: https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/kenkou_iryou/kenkou/kekkaku-kansenshou/kekkaku-kansenshou11/01.html#list05. Accessed on August 18,2022.
Guidance on measures to prevent the introduction of highly drug-resistant bacteria from abroad in medical institutions, NCGM DCC. 2019. Available to: http://dcc.ncgm.go.jp/prevention/resource/resource05.pdf. Accessed on August 18,2022.
- Practical methods using boronic acid compounds for identification of class C beta-lactamase-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae and Escherichia coli.J Clin Microbiol. 2005; 43: 2551-2558
- Long-term colonization by bla(CTX-M)-harboring Escherichia coli in healthy Japanese people engaged in food handling.Appl Environ Microbiol. 2016; 82: 1818-1827
- Convenient test for screening metallo-beta-lactamase-producing Gram-negative bacteria by using thiol compounds.J Clin Microbiol. 2000; 38: 40-43
- Nosocomial spread of Klebsiella pneumoniae isolates producing blaGES-4 carbapenemase at a Japanese hospital.J Infect Chemother. 2017; 23: 40-44
- Risk factors for colonization with multidrug-resistant bacteria among patients admitted to the intensive care unit after returning from abroad.J Travel Med. 2015; 22: 300-305
- Import of multidrug-resistant bacteria from abroad through interhospital transfers, Finland, 2010–2019.Euro Surveill. 2021; 262001360
- High colonization rates of extended-spectrum β-lactamase (ESBL)-producing Escherichia coli in Swiss travellers to South Asia– A prospective observational multicentre cohort study looking at epidemiology, microbiology and risk factors.BMC Infect Dis. 2014; 14: 528
- Individual- and community-level risk factors for ESBL Enterobacteriaceae colonization identified by universal admission screening in London.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 1259-1265
Japan National Tourism Organization, Basic Information by Global Market. Available to: https://www.jnto.go.jp/jpn/inbound_market/index.html?tab=block5. Accessed on August 18,2022.
Hospital infection control surveillance laboratory [inpatient specimens] JANIS. 2020. Available to: https://janis.mhlw.go.jp/report/open_report/2020/3/1/ken_Open_Report_202000.pdf. Accessed on August 18,2022.
- Prevalence and antimicrobial susceptibility pattern of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolated from clinical samples at Yekatit 12 Hospital Medical College, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 398
- Environmental contamination with extended-spectrum beta-lactamases: Is there any difference between Escherichia coli and Klebsiella spp?.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 845-848
- The transmissibility of antibiotic-resistant Enterobacteriaceae in intensive care units.Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: 489-493
- Contact precautions for preventing nosocomial transmission of extended-spectrum β lactamase-producing Escherichia coli: A point/counterpoint review.Clin Infect Dis. 2017; 65: 342-347
- Impact of single-room contact precautions on hospital-acquisition and transmission of multidrug-resistant Escherichia coli: A prospective multicentre cohort study in haematological and oncological wards.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2019; 25: 1013-1020
- The global prevalence and trend of human intestinal carriage of ESBL-producing Escherichia coli in the community.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2021; 76: 22-29
- Global epidemiology of community-associated methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (CA-MRSA).Curr Opin Microbiol. 2012; 15: 588-595
- Dutch guideline for preventing nosocomial transmission of highly resistant microorganisms (HRMO).Infection. 2005; 33: 309-313
- Risk of highly resistant bacteria importation from repatriates and travelers hospitalized in foreign countries: About the French recommendations to limit their spread.J Travel Med. 2011; 18: 344-351
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of interest: None to report.
Funding: This study was supported in part by Grants for International Health Research ( 19A1022 ) from the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare of Japan .