- •Lack of research on assessing hand hygiene assessments for reviewer training.
- •Item analysis highlighted need to improve hand hygiene assessments.
- •This framework for evaluating validity and reliability is more robust.
- •This framework can be adapted for assessing other educational assessments.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Assessment of trained hand hygiene observers using parallel observations.Oman Med J. 2018; 33: 76-79https://doi.org/10.5001/omj.2018.15
- A primer on classical test theory and item response theory for assessments in medical education.Med Educ. 2010; 44: 109-117https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2923.2009.03425.x
- A primer on the validity of assessment instruments.J Grad Med Educ. 2011; 3: 119-120https://doi.org/10.4300/JGME-D-11-00075.1
- Basic concepts in item and test analysis.in: Paper presented at: Annual Meeting of the Southwest Educational Research Association. ERIC, January 23-25, 1997 (Accessed October 26, 2022)
Alberta Health Services. Hand Hygiene Reviewer Training Modules. Alberta Health Services. Accessed October 26, 2022. https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/ipc/Page15620.aspx.
- Item analysis of multiple choice questions from an assessment of medical students in Bhubaneswar, India.Int J Res Med Sci. 2016; 4: 1716-1719https://doi.org/10.18203/2320-6012.ijrms20161256
- How to read and really use an item analysis.Nurse Educ. 2009; 34: 166-171https://doi.org/10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181aaba94
- An assessment of functioning and non-functioning distractors in multiple-choice questions: a descriptive analysis.BMC Med Educ. 2009; 9https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-6920-9-40
- Item analysis of in use multiple choice questions in pharmacology.Int J Appl Basic Med Res. 2016; 6: 170-173https://doi.org/10.4103/2229-516X.186965
- Starting at the beginning: an introduction to coefficient alpha and internal consistency.J Pers Assess. 2003; 80: 93-103https://doi.org/10.1207/S15327752JPA8001_18
- Item analysis of multiple choice questions: a quality assurance test for an assessment tool.Med J Armed Forces India. 2021; 77: S85-S89
- Item analysis of multiple choice questions – An assessment of the assessment tool.Int J Health Sci Res. 2014; 4: 197-202
- Item analysis of multiple choice questions: assessing an assessment tool in medical students.Int J Edu Psych Res. 2016; 2: 201-204https://doi.org/10.4103/2395-2296.189670
- Electronic hand hygiene monitoring: accuracy, impact on the Hawthorne effect and efficiency.J Infect Prev. 2020; 21: 136-143https://doi.org/10.1177/1757177420907999
- Clinical evaluation of an electronic hand hygiene monitoring system.Am J Infect Control. 2022; 00: 1-4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2022.06.017
- Accuracy of a radiofrequency identification (RFID) badge system to monitor hand hygiene behavior during routine clinical activities.AM J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 144-147https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2013.07.014
Brown JD. Criterion-Referenced Item Analysis. (The difference index and B index). SHIKEN: JALT Testing & Evaluation SIG Newsletter. Accessed October 26, 2022. https://hosted.jalt.org/test/PDF/Brown18.pdf.
Varma S. Preliminary Item Statistics Using Point-Biserial Correlation and p-values. Educational Data Systems. Accessed October 26, 2022. https://jcesom.marshall.edu/media/24104/Item-Stats-Point-Biserial.pdf.
- Making sense of Cronbach's alpha.Int J Med Educ. 2011; 2: 53-55https://doi.org/10.5116/ijme.4dfb.8dfd
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of interest: None to report.