- •Routine borescope examination is capable of identifying and internal damage.
- •Routine microbial cultures should be coupled with borescope examination to assure endoscopic safety.
- •Endoscopic dryness is rarely achieved after high level disinfection.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Multisociety guideline on reprocessing flexible GI endoscopes and accessories.Gastrointest Endosc. 2021; 93 (e16): 11-33
D. RWaW. Guideline for Disinfection and Sterilization in Healthcare Facilities. 2008. Accessed September 2, 2022. https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/authors.html.
- Challenges in achieving effective high-level disinfection in endoscope reprocessing.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 309-315
- Simethicone residue remains inside gastrointestinal endoscopes despite reprocessing.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 1237-1240
- Transmission of multi-drug resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa between two flexible ureteroscopes and an outbreak of urinary tract infection: the fragility of endoscope decontamination.J Hosp Infect. 2019; 102: 89-94
- Independent root-cause analysis of contributing factors, including dismantling of 2 duodenoscopes, to investigate an outbreak of multidrug-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae.Gastrointest Endosc. 2019; 90: 793-804
- Outbreak of ertapenem-resistant Enterobacter cloacae urinary tract infections due to a contaminated ureteroscope.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 85: 118-124
- New Delhi metallo-beta-lactamase-producing carbapenem-resistant Escherichia coli associated with exposure to duodenoscopes.JAMA. 2014; 312: 1447-1455
- An investigation of Stenotrophomonas maltophilia-positive culture caused by fiberoptic bronchoscope contamination.BMC Infect Dis. 2019; 19: 1072
- Biofilm accumulation in new flexible gastroscope channels in clinical use.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2022; 43: 174-180
- Bronchoscope-associated clusters of multidrug-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa and carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 40-46
- Sterilization central: the value of borescopes in detecting damage, soil, fluid, and foreign objects in flexible endoscopes.Biomed Instrum Technol. 2020; 54: 146-152
ST91:2021 AA. Flexible And Semi-Rigid Endoscope Processing In Health Care Facilities. 2021. Accessed September 2, 2022. https://webstore.ansi.org/Standards/AAMI/ANSIAAMIST912021?gclid=Cj0KCQjw08aYBhDlARIsAA_gb0eiIq7xytoYjiSf9kRQ3H9RQetnp7UJSiKvBTCu8ZlY68VAF0vW3_IaAp_4EALw_wcB.
- Transmission of infection by flexible gastrointestinal endoscopy and bronchoscopy.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2013; 26: 231-254
FDA. Duodenoscope Surveillance Sampling & Culturing. 2018. Accessed September 2, 2022. https://www.fda.gov/media/111081/download.
- Disposable bronchoscope model for simulating endoscopic reprocessing and surveillance cultures.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 136-142
- Borescope inspection of endoscope working channels: why and how?.Endosc Int Open. 2022; 10: E109-E111
- Contaminated flexible endoscopes: review of impact of channel sampling methods on culture results and recommendations for root-cause analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2022; 43: 623-638
- Efficacy of flexible endoscope drying using novel endoscope test articles that allow direct visualization of the internal channel systems.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49: 614-621
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflict of interest: None to report.