- •CLABSI, C. difficile, and VRE were assessed after removal of universal gloving.
- •Discontinuation of universal gloving did not impact rates of these infection.
- •Adherence to hand hygiene was similar throughout.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Patient contact is the main risk factor for vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus contamination of healthcare workers’ gloves and gowns in the intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 1063-1067
- Risk of hand or glove contamination after contact with patients colonized with vancomycin-resistant enterococcus or the colonized patients’ environment.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2008; 29: 149-154
- Universal glove and gown use and acquisition of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the ICU: a randomized trial.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1571-1580
- Benefits of universal gloving on hospital-acquired infections in acute care pediatric units.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: e1515-e1520
- Association between universal gloving and healthcare-associated infections: a systematic literature review and meta-analysis.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 755-760
- Trial of universal gloving with emollient-impregnated gloves to promote skin health and prevent the transmission of multidrug-resistant organisms in a surgical intensive care unit.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010; 31: 491-497
- The impact of universal glove and gown use on clostridioides difficile acquisition: a cluster-randomized trial.Clin Infect Dis. 2022; (Published online July 1)https://doi.org/10.1093/cid/ciac519
- Impact of universal gowning and gloving on health care worker clothing contamination.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 431-437
- If the glove fits”: Hospital-wide universal gloving is associated with improved hand hygiene and may reduce Clostridioides difficile infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; 42: 1351-1355
- Impact of surveillance for vancomycin-resistant enterococci on controlling a bloodstream outbreak among patients with hematologic malignancy.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2004; 25: 391-394
- Projected benefits of active surveillance for vancomycin-resistant enterococci in intensive care units.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 38: 1108-1115
- Providing care to patients in contact isolation: is the systematic use of gloves still indicated?.Swiss Med Wkly. 2022; 152: w30110
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Financial support: This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health [ UL1TR002377 ]. Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the NIH.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.