- •Delayed diagnosis caused a scabies outbreak.
- •Use of steroids converted ordinary scabies to crusted scabies.
- •Effective nosocomial infection control without mass prophylaxis treatment.
- •Nurses and physical therapists are the most affected.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Scabies outbreak in an intensive care unit with 1,659 exposed individuals–key factors for controlling the outbreak.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009; 30: 354-360
- Nosocomial scabies.J Hosp Infect. 2007; 65: 9-14
Epidemiology & Risk Factors. Scabies [cited 2022 30 June]; Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/scabies/epi.html.
- Management of a family outbreak of scabies with high risk of spread to other community and hospital facilities.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 808-813
- A nosocomial scabies outbreak originating from immunocompromised transplant patients in Turkey: upholstery as a possible cause.Transpl Infect Dis. 2020; 22: e13284
- Scabies.Lancet. 2006; 367: 1767-1774
- Scabies in healthcare settings.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2010; 23: 111-118
- Crusted scabies in the burned patient.J Burn Care Res. 2011; 32: e97-100
- Large nosocomial outbreak associated with a Norwegian Scabies Index Case undergoing TNF-α inhibitor treatment: management and control.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 1358-1360
- An outbreak of scabies in multiple linked healthcare settings in The Netherlands.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2012; 33: 1047-1050
- Scabies outbreak among healthcare workers in a German acute care hospital.J Infect Prev. 2017; 18: 189-192
- Rapid control of a scabies outbreak at a tertiary care hospital without ward closure.Am J Infect Control. 2012; 40: 451-455
- An outbreak of scabies in a long-term care facility: the role of misdiagnosis and the costs associated with control.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2006; 27: 517-518
- A systematic review of scabies transmission models and data to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of scabies interventions.PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2019; 13e0007182
- Mass drug administration for scabies control in a population with endemic disease.N Engl J Med. 2015; 373: 2305-2313
- Mass drug administration for scabies - 2 years of follow-up.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 186-187
- The treatment of scabies with ivermectin.N Engl J Med. 1995; 333: 26-30
- Scabies.N Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 1718-1727
- Control of scabies outbreaks in an Italian hospital: an information-centered management strategy.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 316-320
- Retrospective analysis of institutional scabies outbreaks from 1984 to 2013: lessons learned and moving forward.Epidemiol Infect. 2016; 144: 2462-2471
- Do we know how scabies outbreaks in residential and nursing care homes for the elderly should be managed? A systematic review of interventions using a novel approach to assess evidence quality.Epidemiol Infect. 2019; 147: e250
- An outbreak of scabies in a teaching hospital: lessons learned.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001; 22: 13-18
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.