- •3-26% of inpatients are colonized with C. difficile, which contributes to false positive tests
- •It is not recommended to test for C. difficile if administered laxatives in the last 48 hours, or a recent positive or negative test within 7 days.
- •Utilizing best practice advisories for recent administration of laxatives, or recent positive or negative test successfully reduced C. difficile orders by 27.3%.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- The impact of an electronic medical record nudge on reducing testing for hospital-onset Clostridioides difficile infection.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 411-417
- The Impact of a Computerized Clinical Decision Support Tool on Inappropriate Clostridium difficile Testing.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2017; 38: 1204-1208
- Cost of hospital management of Clostridium difficile infection in United States-a meta-analysis and modelling study.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 447
- Strategies to prevent Clostridium difficile infections in acute care hospitals: 2014 Update.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 628-645
- Inappropriate Clostridium difficile Testing and Consequent Overtreatment and Inaccurate Publicly Reported Metrics.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2016; 37: 1395-1400
- Why do clinicians order inappropriate Clostridium difficile testing? An exploratory study.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 285-289
- Clinical Practice Guidelines for Clostridium difficile Infection in Adults and Children: 2017 Update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA).Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: e1-e48
- Real-Time Electronic Tracking of Diarrheal Episodes and Laxative Therapy Enables Verification of Clostridium difficile Clinical Testing Criteria and Reduction of Clostridium difficile Infection Rates.J Clin Microbiol. 2017; 55: 1276-1284
- Using a nurse-initiated bedside tool to decrease inappropriate testing for Clostridioides difficile in hospital settings.J Infect Prev. 2021; 22: 136-139
- Reduced Clostridium difficile Tests and Laboratory-Identified Events With a Computerized Clinical Decision Support Tool and Financial Incentive.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 737-740
- The Impact of Clinical Decision Support Alerts on Clostridioides difficile Testing: A Systematic Review.Clin Infect Dis. 2021; 72: 987-994
Control CfD. Strategies to prevent Clostridioides difficile Infection in Acute Care Facilities https://www.cdc.gov/cdiff/clinicians/cdi-prevention-strategies.html. Published 2021. Accessed August 26, 2022.
- False Negative Results in Clostridium difficile Testing.BMC Infect Dis. 2016; 16: 430
- Clinical characteristics of patients who test positive for Clostridium difficile by repeat PCR.J Clin Microbiol. 2014; 52: 3853-3855
Network NHS. Multidrug-Resistant Organism & Clostridioides difficile Infection (MDRO/CDI) Module. In: NHSN, ed2022.
- The generalisation of student's problems when several different population variances are involved.Biometrika. 1947; 34: 28-35
- Sustained reduction in rates of hospital-onset Clostridium difficile infection using an automated electronic health record protocol.Am J Infect Control. 2018; 46: 542-548
- In pursuit of the holy grail: Improving C. difficile testing appropriateness with iterative electronic health record clinical decision support and targeted test restriction.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; : 1-8
- Prescriber Behavior in Clostridioides difficile Testing: A 3-Hospital Diagnostic Stewardship Intervention.Clin Infect Dis. 2019; 69: 2019-2021
- Reductions in Clostridium difficile Infection (CDI) Rates Using Real-Time Automated Clinical Criteria Verification to Enforce Appropriate Testing.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2018; 39: 625-627
- Innovative Implementation Studies Conducted in US Safety Net Health Care Settings: A Systematic Review.Am J Med Qual. 2019; 34: 293-306
- Association of Attitudes Regarding Overuse of Inpatient Laboratory Testing With Health Care Provider Type.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 1205-1207
- Development of a high-value care culture survey: a modified Delphi process and psychometric evaluation.BMJ Qual Saf. 2017; 26: 475-483