- •Eyewash stations are important safety equipment characterized by long water age.
- •Significant increases in microbial contamination were detected in eyewash stations.
- •Eyewash stations may serve as potential sources of pathogen exposure.
- •Proper eyewash flushing was effective in reducing microbial contamination.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- American National Standard for Emergency Eyewash and Shower Equipment.ANSI standard, 2014: Z3581 (Institute ANS)
- Fate of free chlorine in drinking water during distribution in premise plumbing.Ecotoxicology. 2015; 24: 2151-2155
- Overnight stagnation of drinking water in household taps induces microbial growth and changes in community composition.Water Res. 2010; 44: 4868-4877
- Drinking water microbiome assembly induced by water stagnation.ISME J. 2018; 12: 1520-1531
- Impact of building closures during the COVID-19 pandemic on Legionella infection risks.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49: 1564-1566
- Microbiome profiles of nebulizers in hospital use.J Aerosol Med Pulm Drug Deliv. 2022; 35: 212-222
- The Silva ribosomal RNA gene database project: Improved data processing and web-based tools.Nucleic Acids Res. 2013; 41: 590-596
- Reproducible, interactive, scalable, and extensible microbiome data science using QIIME 2.Nat Biotechnol. 2019; 37: 852-857
- Non-tuberculous mycobacteria in drinking water systems: a review of prevalence data and control means.Int J Environ Health. 2019; 222: 628-634
- Opportunistic premise plumbing pathogens: increasingly important pathogens in drinking water.Pathogens. 2015; 4: 373-386
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding/support: This work was supported, in part, by US National Science Foundation (NSF) award 2025339 and National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) award R25ES028976 .
Conflicts of interest: None to report.