- •The effectiveness of virtual reality in learning about infection control is unknown.
- •Patients and their families can provide a unique perspective on the healthcare system.
- •Patient engagement has been shown to support improved patient outcomes.
- •There are key gaps in patient understanding about antimicrobial resistance.
- •Patients believe they can support environmental cleaning and to remind their visitor to wash their hands.
- •Tailored materials are needed to support patient participation.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Status of the implementation of the World Health Organization multimodal hand hygiene strategy in United States of America health care facilities.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 224-230
World Health Organization. World alliance for patient safety; forward programme 2004. In. Geneva; 2004.
- Patients' perspectives of engagement as a safety strategy.Oncol Nurs Forum. 2017; 44: 712-718
- Patient involvement in patient safety: how willing are patients to participate?.BMJ quality & safety. 2011; 20: 108-114
- Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (ACSQHC).National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards, 2017
- The behaviour change wheel: a new method for characterising and designing behaviour change interventions.Implementation Sci. 2011; 6: 42
- Theories of behaviour change synthesised into a set of theoretical groupings: introducing a thematic series on the theoretical domains framework.Implementation Sci. 2012; 7: 35
- Validation of the theoretical domains framework for use in behaviour change and implementation research.Implementation Sci. 2012; 7: 37
- ‘I don't want to cause any trouble’: the attitudes of hospital patients towards patient empowerment strategies to reduce healthcare-acquired infections.J Infect Prevent. 2015; 16: 167-173
- Handling Qualitative Data.SAGE Publications, 2014
- The behaviour change wheel: a new method for characterising and designing behaviour change interventions.Implementation Sci IS. 2011; 6: 42
- Consolidated criteria for reporting qualitative research (COREQ): a 32-item checklist for interviews and focus groups.Int J Quality Health Care. 2007; 19: 349-357
- Ask, speak up, and be proactive: empowering patient infection control to prevent health care-acquired infections.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 447-453
- Empowering patients in the hospital as a new approach to reducing the burden of health care-associated infections: The attitudes of hospital health care workers.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 263-268
- Improving handwashing in hospitals: a patient education and empowerment program.LDI issue brief. 2001; 7: 1-4
- Healthcare facilities should include patients in their compliance program.Crit Care Med. 2004; 32 (author reply 1447): 1446-1447
- Patient empowerment and hand hygiene, 1997-2012.The J hospital infection. 2013; 84: 191-199
- Efficacy of alcohol gel for removal of methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus from hands of colonized patients.Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 229-231
- A randomized trial of soap and water hand wash versus alcohol hand rub for removal of Clostridium difficile spores from hands of patients.Infection control and hospital epidemiol : the off j Soc of Hospital Epidemiol Am. 2014; 35: 204-206
- Systematic patients' hand disinfection: impact on meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection rates in a community hospital.The J hospital infection. 2010; 75: 269-272
- Outbreak of human metapneumovirus infection in psychiatric inpatients: implications for directly observed use of alcohol hand rub in prevention of nosocomial outbreaks.The Journal of hospital infection. 2007; 67: 336-343
- Implementation of directly observed patient hand hygiene for hospitalized patients by hand hygiene ambassadors in Hong Kong.Am J Infect Control. 2016; 44: 621-624
- A randomized trial to determine the impact of a 5 moments for patient hand hygiene educational intervention on patient hand hygiene.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 551-553
- Examining the inclusion of patients and their family members in infection prevention and control policies and guidelines across Bangladesh, Indonesia, and South Korea.Am J Infection Control. 2020; 48: 599-608
- Family caregivers in public tertiary care hospitals in Bangladesh: risks and opportunities for infection control.Am J Infect Control. 2014; 42: 305-310
- Nipah Virus Contamination of Hospital Surfaces during Outbreaks, Bangladesh, 2013–2014.Emerg Infect Dis. 24. 2018: 15
- Beds in a Bangladeshi hospital.Medische Antropologie. 2006; 18: 193-204
- Strategic hospital services quality analysis in Indonesia.Expert Syst Appl. 2015; 42: 3067-3078
- Enhancing the quality of life for palliative care cancer patients in Indonesia through family caregivers: a pilot study of basic skills training.BMC palliative care. 2017; 16: 4
- Family and paid caregivers of hospitalized patients in Korea.J Clin Nurs. 2006; 15: 946-953
- Healthcare policy and healthcare utilization behavior to improve hospital infection control after the Middle East respiratory syndrome outbreak.J Korean Med Assoc. 2015; 58: 598-605
- Institutionalization of a patient-sitter program in acute care hospitals.J Korea Contents Assoc. 2013; 13: 370-379
- Roles of nurse aides and family members in acute patient care in Taiwan.J Nurs Care Qual. 2004; 19: 169-175
- Family involvement in inpatient care in Taiwan.Clin Nurs Res. 2008; : 297-311
- The sociocultural context of caregiving experiences for Vietnamese dementia family caregivers.Asian Am J Psychol. 2015; 6: 263
- Involvement of the family members in caring of patients an acute care setting.J Postgrad Med. 2014; 60: 382
- Family caregiving in India: Importance of need-based support and intervention in acute care settings.J Postgrad Med. 2014; 60: 355
- Family-paid caregivers in hospital health care in China.J Nurs Manag. 2013; 21: 1026-1033
- The Impact of Cancer on Family Relationships Among Chinese Patients.J Transcult Nurs. 2011; 22: 225-234
- Meaning of filial piety in the Chinese parent-child relationship: implications for culturally competent health care.J Cult Divers. 1999; 6: 26
- Patient engagement with infection management in secondary care: a qualitative investigation of current experiences.BMJ Open. 2016; 6e011040
- Effectiveness of strategies for informing, educating, and involving patients.British Medical J. 2007; 335: 24-27
- Not all patients want to participate in decision making. A national study of public preferences.J General Internal Med. 2005; 20: 531-535
- Use of the health belief model to study patient perceptions of antimicrobial stewardship in the acute care setting.Infection control and hospital epidemiology. 2016; 37: 576-582
- Development of a patient-centred intervention to improve knowledge and understanding of antibiotic therapy in secondary care.Antimicrobial resistance and infection control. 2018; 7 (43)
- The behaviour change wheel: a new method for characterising and designing behaviour change interventions.Implementation sci IS. 2011; 6 (42)
- The Antibiotic Guardian campaign: a qualitative evaluation of an online pledge-based system focused on making better use of antibiotics.BMC Public Health. 2017; 18: 5
- Mechanisms of implementation intention effects: the role of goal intentions, self-efficacy, and accessibility of plan components.Br J Soc Psychol. 2008; 47: 373-395
- Are social norms campaigns really magic bullets? Assessing the effects of students' misperceptions on drinking behavior.Health Commun. 2003; 15: 481-497
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Funding/support: The support was provided by the Prince of Wales Hospital Foundation to support the activities in this project.
Conflicts of interest: None to report.