- •Quality improvement project was initiated at a large, academic freestanding children's hospital for inpatients with an indwelling urinary catheter.
- •An audit tool based on Kamishibai, a Japanese form of storytelling, was developed based on CDC CAUTI prevention recommendations.
- •Hospital-wide urinary catheter K-card rounding facilitated standardized data collection, discussion of reliability, and real-time feedback to nurses.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
National Healthcare Safety Network (2021). Urinary tract infection (catheter- associated urinary tract infection [CAUTI] and non- catheter- associated urinary tract infection [UTI]) events. Published online 2021. Accessed November 23, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/pscManual/7pscCAUTIcurrent.pdf
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Estimating the additional hospital inpatient cost and mortality associated with selected hospital-acquired conditions. Published 2017. Accessed November 23, 2021. https://www.ahrq.gov/hai/pfp/haccost2017-results.html
Gould CV, Umscheid CA, Agarwal RK, Kuntz G, Pegues DA. Healthcare infection control practices advisory committee |guideline for prevention of catheter-associated urinary tract infections (2009). Published online 2019. Accessed November 23, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/cauti-guidelines-H.pdf
Hospital: 2022 national patient safety goals | The Joint Commission. Accessed March 24, 2022. https://www.jointcommission.org/standards/national-patient-safety-goals/hospital-national-patient-safety-goals/
Evidence-based care bundles | IHI - Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Accessed November 23, 2021. http://www.ihi.org:80/Topics/Bundles/Pages/default.aspx
- Impact of Kamishibai card process on compliance with the central venous line maintenance bundle.J Nurs Care Qual. 2020; 35: 34-39
- Central venous catheter bundle adherence: Kamishibai card (K-card) rounding for central-line–associated bloodstream infection (CLABSI) prevention.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 1058-1063
- Standards for quality improvement reporting excellence 2.0: revised publication guidelines from a detailed consensus process.J Surg Res. 2016; 200: 676-682
- Children's hospitals’ solutions for patient safety collaborative impact on hospital-acquired harm.Pediatrics. 2017; 140e20163494
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
Using care bundles to improve health care quality | IHI - Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Accessed December 17, 2021. http://www.ihi.org:80/resources/Pages/IHIWhitePapers/UsingCareBundles.aspx
Analysis quick reference guides | NHSN | CDC. Published July 21, 2021. Accessed December 17, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/ps-analysis-resources/reference-guides.html
- Implementation of a central line maintenance care bundle in hospitalized pediatric oncology patients.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e996-e1004
- Kamishibai cards to sustain evidence-based practices to reduce healthcare–associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 358-365
- How can healthcare organizations implement patient-centered care? Examining a large-scale cultural transformation.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 168
- Comparative study of different disinfectant solutions on reducing catheter associated urinary tract infections among critical patients.J Health Med Nurs. 2020; 73: 107
- Bed baths: much more than a basic nursing task.Nursing2022. 2014; 44: 67-68
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
No previous presentation of the data or findings in a preliminary report or abstract.