- •Quality improvement project was initiated at a large, academic freestanding children's hospital for inpatients with an indwelling urinary catheter
- •An audit tool based on Kamishibai, a Japanese form of storytelling, was developed based on CDC CAUTI prevention recommendations
- •Hospital-wide urinary catheter K-card rounding facilitated standardized data collection, discussion of reliability, and real-time feedback to nurses
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Urinary Tract Infection (Catheter- Associated Urinary Tract Infection [CAUTI] and Non- catheter- Associated Urinary Tract Infection [UTI]) Events.2021 (Published online 2021. Accessed November 23, 2021)
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Estimating the Additional Hospital Inpatient Cost and Mortality Associated With Selected Hospital-Acquired Conditions | Results. Published 2017. Accessed November 23, 2021. https://www.ahrq.gov/hai/pfp/haccost2017-results.html
Gould CV, Umscheid CA, Agarwal RK, Kuntz G, Pegues DA. Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee |Guideline for Prevention of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections (2009). Published online 2019. Accessed November 23, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/pdf/guidelines/cauti-guidelines-H.pdf
Hospital: 2022 National Patient Safety Goals | The Joint Commission. Accessed March 24, 2022. https://www.jointcommission.org/standards/national-patient-safety-goals/hospital-national-patient-safety-goals/
Evidence-Based Care Bundles | IHI - Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Accessed November 23, 2021. http://www.ihi.org:80/Topics/Bundles/Pages/default.aspx
- Central Venous Line Maintenance Bundle.Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 2020; 35: 34-39https://doi.org/10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000405
- Central venous catheter bundle adherence: Kamishibai card (K-card) rounding for central-line–associated bloodstream infection (CLABSI) prevention.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 1058-1063https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2020.235
- Standards for QUality Improvement Reporting Excellence 2.0: revised publication guidelines from a detailed consensus process.J Surg Res. 2016; 200: 676-682https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2015.09.015
- Children's Hospitals’ Solutions for Patient Safety Collaborative Impact on Hospital-Acquired Harm.Pediatrics. 2017; 140e20163494https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-3494
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
Using Care Bundles to Improve Health Care Quality | IHI - Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Accessed December 17, 2021. http://www.ihi.org:80/resources/Pages/IHIWhitePapers/UsingCareBundles.aspx
Analysis Quick Reference Guides | NHSN | CDC. Published July 21, 2021. Accessed December 17, 2021. https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/ps-analysis-resources/reference-guides.html
- Implementation of a central line maintenance care bundle in hospitalized pediatric oncology patients.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e996-e1004https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-0295
- Kamishibai cards to sustain evidence-based practices to reduce healthcare–associated infections.Am J Infect Control. 2019; 47: 358-365https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2018.10.004
- How can healthcare organizations implement patient-centered care? Examining a large-scale cultural transformation.BMC Health Serv Res. 2018; 18: 168https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-2949-5
- Comparative Study of Different Disinfectant Solutions on Reducing Catheter Associated Urinary Tract Infections Among Critical Patients.J Health Med Nurs. 2020; 73: 107
- Bed baths: Much more than a basic nursing task.Nursing2022. 2014; 44: 67-68https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NURSE.0000453714.58446.98
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Dr. Ana Vaughan-Malloy has disclosed stock ownership, detailed in submitted disclosure form. Other authors have no conflicts of interest.
No previous presentation of the data or findings in a preliminary report or abstract.