- •Significant predictors of Clostridioides difficile infection (CDI) included presence of abdominal pain, exposure to meropenem and clindamycin, longer duration of hospital stay and antibiotic treatment.
- •The new scoring system showed good discrimination, with an AUROC of 0.88.
- •The optimal cut-off point for the score was 6, with a sensitivity and specificity of 89% and 74%, respectively.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Clinical practice. Antibiotic-associated diarrhea.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 334-339
- Antibiotic-associated diarrhea accompanied by large-scale alterations in the composition of the fecal microbiota.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 1203-1206
- Clinical recognition and diagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2008; 46: S12-S18
- Clinical practice guidelines for clostridium difficile infection in adults and children: 2017 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) and Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA).Clin Infect Dis. 2018; 66: e1-e48
- Clostridium difficile infection is associated with increased risk of death and prolonged hospitalization in children.Clin Infect Dis. 2013; 57: 1-8
- Clostridium difficile infection in hospitalized children in the United States.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011; 165: 451-457
- Comparison of BD GeneOhm Cdiff real-time PCR assay with a two-step algorithm and a toxin A/B enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for diagnosis of toxigenic Clostridium difficile infection.J Clin Microbiol. 2010; 48: 109-114
- Overdiagnosis of Clostridium difficile Infection in the Molecular Test Era.JAMA Intern Med. 2015; 175: 1792-1801
- Comparison of pediatric and adult antibiotic-associated diarrhea and Clostridium difficile infections.World J Gastroenterol. 2016; 22: 3078-3104
- Clinical characteristics of Clostridium difficile infection in hospitalized patients with antibiotic-associated diarrhea in a university hospital in China.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2014; 33: 1773-1779
- Predicting Clostridium difficile toxin in hospitalized patients with antibiotic-associated diarrhea.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 377-381
- Is it Clostridium difficile infection or something else? A case-control study of 352 hospitalized patients with new-onset diarrhea.South Med J. 2007; 100: 782-786
- Is Fecal Leukocyte Test a good predictor of Clostridium difficile associated diarrhea?.Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob. 2006; 19: 9
- Risk factors for Clostridioides difficile infection in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Hosp Infect. 2022; 130: 112-121
- Risk factors of Clostridium difficile infections among patients in a university hospital in Shanghai, China.Anaerobe. 2014; 30: 65-69
- Cumulative antibiotic exposures over time and the risk of Clostridium difficile infection.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: 42-48
- Risk factors and outcomes associated with severe clostridium difficile infection in children.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2012; 31: 134-138
- Antibiotics and healthcare facility-associated Clostridioides difficile infection: systematic review and meta-analysis 2020 update.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2021; 76: 1676-1688
- Association between duration of antipseudomonal beta-lactam therapy and Clostridioides difficile infections in monomicrobial Enterobacterales bloodstream infections at an academic medical center.Antimicrob Steward Healthc Epidemiol. 2022; 2: e25
- Impact of antecedent antibiotic usage on community-associated clostridioides difficile infection in pediatrics.Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2021; 40: 426-428
- Decrease in nosocomial Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea by restricting clindamycin use.Ann Intern Med. 1994; 120: 272-277
- Hospital-wide restriction of clindamycin: effect on the incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea and cost.Ann Intern Med. 1998; 128: 989-995
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Declaration of Competing Interest: The authors declare that they have no known competing financial interests or personal relationships that could have appeared to influence the work reported in this paper.