- •S. aureus strains isolated from the hospital environment were more resistant to antibiotics compared to clinical S. aureus isolates.
- •Clinical S. aureus showed more virulence compared to environmental S. aureus.
- •Integrons did not have a major role in the multidrug resistance of S. aureus in both patients and the environment.
- •Methicillin resistance was found in 11% of clinical S. aureus and 60% of environmental S. aureus.
Abbreviations:EN (environmental), CL (clinical)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- Airborne Staphylococcus aureus in different environments—a review.Environment Sci Pollution Res. 2019; 26: 34741-34753
- Guidelines for environmental infection control in health-care facilities: recommendations of CDC and the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee (HICPAC).MMWR. 2003; 52 (Update: 2019): 1-48
- Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States.US Department of Health and Human Services, Washington, DC, USA2019
- Hemolysins of Staphylococcus aureus—an update on their biology, role in pathogenesis and as targets for anti-virulence therapy.Advanc Infect Dis. 2019; 9: 80-104
- Capsule-negative Staphylococcus aureus induces chronic experimental mastitis in mice.Infect Immun. 2005; 73: 7932-7937
- Staphyloxanthin: a potential target for antivirulence therapy.Infection Drug Resistance. 2019; 12: 2151
- Methicillin resistance reduces the virulence of healthcare-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus by interfering with the agr quorum sensing system.J Infect Dis. 2012; 205: 798-806
- Integron gene cassettes harboring novel variants of d-alanine-d-alanine ligase confer high-level resistance to d-cycloserine.Sci Rep. 2020; 10: 1-16
- Class 1 integron in staphylococci.Mol Biol Rep. 2011; 38: 5261-5279
- Contamination, disinfection, and cross-colonization: are hospital surfaces reservoirs for nosocomial infection?.Clin Infect Dis. 2004; 39: 1182-1189
- Transmission of Staphylococcus aureus between health-care workers, the environment, and patients in an intensive care unit: a longitudinal cohort study based on whole-genome sequencing.Lancet Infect Dis. 2017; 17: 207-214
- The trend of environmental and clinical methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a hospital in Taiwan: Impact of USA300.J Microbiol, Immunol Infect. 2022; 55: 241-248
- Widespread environmental contamination associated with patients with diarrhea and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus colonization of the gastrointestinal tract.Infect Control Hospital Epidemiol. 2007; 28: 1142-1147
- Does improving surface cleaning and disinfection reduce health care-associated infections?.Am J Infect Control. 2013; 41 (S12-S19)
- Bailey & Scott’s Diagnostic Microbiology. Elsevier Health Sciences, St. Louis, Missouri2015
- New quadriplex PCR assay for detection of methicillin and mupirocin resistance and simultaneous discrimination of Staphylococcus aureus from coagulase-negative staphylococci.J Clin Microbiol. 2004; 42: 4947-4955
- Rep-PCR tests for identification of bacteria.EPPO Bull. 2010; 40: 365-368
- Comparison of multilocus variable-number tandem repeat analysis and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis in molecular subtyping of Salmonella enterica serovars Paratyphi A.Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2011; 69: 1-6
- Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Disk Susceptibility Tests.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, PA2020
- Novel multiplex PCR assay for characterization and concomitant subtyping of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec types I to V in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.J Clin Microbiol. 2005; 43: 5026-5033
- Genotypic characterization by polymerase chain reaction of Staphylococcus aureus isolates associated with bovine mastitis.Vet Microbiol. 2011; 153: 285-292
- Molecular epidemiology of acquired-metallo-β-lactamase-producing bacteria in Poland.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2006; 50: 880-886
- Multidrug-resistant, extensively drug-resistant and pandrug-resistant bacteria: an international expert proposal for interim standard definitions for acquired resistance.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2012; 18: 268-281
- Prevalence and pattern of antibiotic resistance of Staphylococcus aureus isolated from door handles and other points of contact in public hospitals in Ghana.Antimicrobi Resistance Infect Control. 2017; 6: 1-6
- Isolation of common aerobic bacterial pathogens from the environment of seven hospitals, Ahvaz, Iran.Jundishapur J Microbiol. 2011; 4: 75-82
- The oral cavity revealed as a significant reservoir of Staphylococcus aureus in an acute hospital by extensive patient, healthcare worker and environmental sampling.J Hosp Infect. 2020; 105: 389-396
- New epidemiology of Staphylococcus aureus infection in Asia.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2014; 20: 605-623
- The distribution of pathogenic and toxigenic genes among MRSA and MSSA clinical isolates.Microb Pathog. 2015; 81: 60-66
- MRSA prevalence in European healthcare settings: a review.BMC Infect Dis. 2011; 11: 1-13
- Distribution of bacterial contamination in a teaching hospital in Tehran—A special focus on Staphylococcus aureus.Acta Microbiol Immunol Hung. 2012; 59: 1-11
- Molecular characteristic and virulence gene profiles of community-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates from pediatric patients in Shanghai.China. Front Microbiol. 2016; 7: 1818
- Molecular characterization of community-and healthcare-associated methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in southern Taiwan.Microb Drug Resist. 2015; 21: 610-621
- Fluoroquinolone-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa: assessment of risk factors and clinical impact.Am J Med. 2006; 119 (526. e19-526. e25)
- High genetic diversity of methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA) from humans and animals on livestock farms and presence of SCC mec remnant DNA in MSSA CC398.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2014; 69: 355-362
- Antimicrobial resistance, virulence genes profiling and molecular relatedness of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from hospitalized patients in Guangdong Province, China.Infect Drug Resistance. 2019; 12: 447
- Association between antimicrobial resistance and virulence in Escherichia coli.Virulence. 2012; 3: 18-28
- The occurrence of type I, II, and III integrons in multi-drug resistance and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates in Iran.Curr Microbiol. 2020; 77: 1653-1659
- Nosocomial infection caused by class 1 integron-carrying Staphylococcus aureus in a hospital in South China.Clin Microbiol Infect. 2007; 13: 980-984
- A study on class I integrons and antimicrobial resistance among clinical staphylococci isolates from a Turkish hospital.Clin Microbiol. 2014; 61000173
- Role of a cysteine synthase in Staphylococcus aureus.J Bacteriol. 2004; 186: 1579-1590
- Deciphering the interplay between cysteine synthase and thiol cascade proteins in modulating Amphotericin B resistance and survival of Leishmania donovani under oxidative stress.Redox Biol. 2017; 12: 350-366
- Novel insights about class 2 integrons from experimental and genomic epidemiology.Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010; 54: 699-706
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of Interest: None to report.
Funding: This study was supported by a grant [IR.MUK.REC.1399.162] from Faculty of Medicine, Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences, Sanandaj, Iran.
Author contributions: S. Kh. performed the experiments and prepared the manuscript. S.D. designed the search, analyzed the data, and prepared the manuscript. M.A. prepared the manuscript.
Ethics approval and Informed consent: IR.MUK.REC.1399.162, This study was approved by the ethics committee at the Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. All research was performed in accordance with relevant guidelines/regulations.
Informed consent was obtained from all patients.
Availability of data and materials: All data generated or analyzed during this study are included in this article.