- •Two electronic health record interventions successfully reduced urine cultures by more than 20% in a large safety net system: a mandatory indication on urine culture and a best practice advisory for urine cultures on patients with urinary catheters.
- •No additional education or stewardship was implemented for this initiative.
- •Reductions in urine culture ordering rates and catheter associated urinary tract infection rates were highly variable among 11 different hospitals.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
- International clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of acute uncomplicated cystitis and pyelonephritis in women: a 2010 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America and the European Society for Microbiology and Infectious Diseases.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 52: e103-e120
Society AG. Choosing wiselyhttps://www.choosingwisely.org/clinician-lists/american-geriatrics-society-antimicrobials-to-treat-bacteriuria-in-older-adults/. Published 2013. Accessed November 22, 2022.
AMDA. Choosing wisely. https://www.choosingwisely.org/clinician-lists/amda-urine-cultures/. Published 2013. Accessed November 21, 2022.
AUA. Choosing wisely. https://www.choosingwisely.org/societies/american-urological-association/. Published 2013. Accessed November 21, 2022.
USPSTF. Asymptomatic bacteriuria in adults: screening.https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/asymptomatic-bacteriuria-in-adults-screening-:∼:text=The%20USPSTF%20recommends%20screening%20for,urine%20culture%20in%20pregnant%20persons.&text=The%20USPSTF%20recommends%20against%20screening%20for%20asymptomatic%20bacteriuria%20in%20nonpregnant%20adults. Published 2019. Accessed November 21, 2022.
- An implementation guide to reducing overtreatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria.JAMA Intern Med. 2018; 178: 271-276
- Risk Factors and outcomes associated with treatment of asymptomatic bacteriuria in hospitalized patients.JAMA Intern Med. 2019; 179: 1519-1527
- Using clinical decision support to improve urine culture diagnostic stewardship, antimicrobial stewardship, and financial cost: A multicenter experience.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2020; 41: 564-570
- Promoting appropriate urine culture management to improve health care outcomes and the accuracy of catheter-associated urinary tract infections.Am J Infect Control. 2017; 45: 1143-1153
- Modified reporting of positive urine cultures to reduce inappropriate antibiotic treatment of catheter-associated asymptomatic bacteriuria (CA-ASB) among inpatients, a randomized controlled trial.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2021; 42: 1221-1227
- A hospital-site controlled intervention using audit and feedback to implement guidelines concerning inappropriate treatment of catheter-associated asymptomatic bacteriuria.Implement Sci. 2011; 6: 41
- Safety and efficacy of a novel silver-impregnated urinary catheter system for preventing catheter-associated bacteriuria: a pilot randomized clinical trial.Am J Infect Control. 2015; 43: 260-265
- Knowledge and practices of physicians and nurses related to urine cultures in catheterized patients: an assessment of adherence to IDSA guidelines.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6ofz305https://doi.org/10.1093/ofid/ofz305
- Quality improvement interventions and implementation strategies for urine culture stewardship in the acute care setting: advances and challenges.Curr Infect Dis Rep. 2021; 23: 16https://doi.org/10.1007/s11908-021-00760-3
- Reducing inappropriate urine cultures through a culture standardization program.Am J Infect Control. 2020; 48: 656-662
- Mayo clinic reduces catheter-associated urinary tract infections through a bundled 6-C approach.Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2016; 42: 254-261
- Innovative implementation studies conducted in US safety net health care settings: a systematic review.Am J Med Qual. 2019; 34: 293-306
- Systematic review of clinician-directed nudges in healthcare contexts.BMJ Open. 2021; 11e048801
NHSN. Urinary tract infection (Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection [CAUTI] and Non-Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infection [UTI]) events https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/pdfs/pscmanual/7psccauticurrent.pdf. Published 2022. Accessed November 21, 2022.
- SEE the DIFFerence: reducing unnecessary C. difficile orders through clinical decision support in a large, urban safety-net system.Am J Infect Control. 2022; S0196-6553(22)00783-0https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajic.2022.11.003
- Development of a high-value care culture survey: a modified Delphi process and psychometric evaluation.BMJ Qual Saf. 2017; 26: 475-483
- Free the T3: implementation of best practice advisory to reduce unnecessary orders.Am J Med. 2022; 135: 1437-1442
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
.Conflicts of interest: None to report.