- •Clinician perspectives on sustaining hand hygiene reliability are poorly defined.
- •Human factors engineering is effective but underutilized in infection prevention.
- •Using this framework, we surveyed pediatric clinicians about hand hygiene.
- •Organization, environment, tasks, and tools identified as barriers to hand hygiene.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to American Journal of Infection Control
HCUP Fast Stats Data Tools | AHRQ Data Tools. Accessed January 5, 2023. https://datatools.ahrq.gov/hcup-fast-stats
CDC. Health Topics - HAI - POLARIS. centers for disease control and prevention. Published, 2021. Accessed January 5, 2023. https://www.cdc.gov/policy/polaris/healthtopics/hai/index.html
- Strategies to prevent healthcare-associated infections through hand hygiene.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2014; 35: 937-960
- Hand hygiene and human factors.J Infect Prev. 2015; 16: 143-144
- Effectiveness of a hospital-wide programme to improve compliance with hand hygiene. Infection control programme.Lancet Lond Engl. 2000; 356: 1307-1312
- Does physician leadership influence followers’ hand hygiene compliance?.Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019; 6: ofz236
- Searching for an optimal hand hygiene bundle: A meta-analysis.Clin Infect Dis. 2014; 58: 248-259
- Quality-improvement initiative sustains improvement in pediatric health care worker hand hygiene.Pediatrics. 2011; 128: e689-e698
- Impact of a successful speaking up program on health-care worker hand hygiene behavior.Pediatr Qual Saf. 2017; 2: e035
- Healthcare infection control practices advisory committee, HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force. guideline for hand hygiene in health-care settings. recommendations of the healthcare infection control practices advisory committee and the HICPAC/SHEA/APIC/IDSA hand hygiene task force. Society for healthcare epidemiology of America/Association for professionals in infection control/infectious diseases society of America.MMWR Recomm Rep Morb Mortal Wkly Rep Recomm Rep. 2002; 51 (quiz CE1-4): 1-45
- Hand sanitisers amid CoViD-19: A critical review of alcohol-based products on the market and formulation approaches to respond to increasing demand.Int J Pharm. 2020; 584119431
- The impact of COVID-19 pandemic on hand hygiene performance in hospitals.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49: 30-33
- COVID-19 outbreak and healthcare worker behavioural change toward hand hygiene practices.J Hosp Infect. 2021; 111: 27-34
- Hand hygiene compliance among healthcare workers before and during the COVID-19 pandemic.Am J Infect Control. 2022; 50: 719-723
- Hand hygiene compliance of healthcare workers before and during the COVID-19 pandemic: A long-term follow-up study.Am J Infect Control. 2021; 49: 1118-1122
- Factors associated with hand hygiene compliance at a tertiary care teaching hospital.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2013; 34: 1146-1152
- Tailored interventions to address determinants of practice.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; i-112
Human Factors Engineering. Accessed April 27, 2021. https://psnet.ahrq.gov/primer/human-factors-engineering
Catalyst N. What Is Lean Healthcare? NEJM Catal. Published online 2018. Accessed December 22, 2022. https://catalyst.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/CAT.18.0193
- SEIPS 2.0: a human factors framework for studying and improving the work of healthcare professionals and patients.Ergonomics. 2013; 56: 1669-1686
Hand hygiene tools and resources. Accessed June 24, 2022. https://www.who.int/teams/integrated-health-services/infection-prevention-control/hand-hygiene/monitoring-tools
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381
- Human factors engineering contributions to infection prevention and control.Hum Factors. 2019; 61: 693-701
- Role of human factors engineering in infection prevention: gaps and opportunities.Curr Treat Options Infect Dis. 2017; 9: 230-249
- Using human factors engineering to improve the effectiveness of infection prevention and control.Crit Care Med. 2010; 38: S269
- Intensive care physicians’ and nurses’ perception that hand hygiene prevents pathogen transmission: Belief strength and associations with other cognitive factors.J Health Psychol. 2017; 22: 89-100
- Using alcohol for hand antisepsis: dispelling old myths.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000; 21: 438-441
- Remind me again: physician response to web surveys: the effect of email reminders across 11 opinion survey efforts at the american board of internal medicine from 2017 to 2019.Eval Health Prof. 2021; 44: 245-259
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
Conflicts of interest: Ana M Vaughan-Malloy, has disclosed stock ownership, detailed in submitted disclosure form. Jenny Chan Yuen, and Thomas J. Sandora, have no disclosures.